From:
[log in to unmask] (J. Barkley Rosser, Jr.)
Date:

It is my understanding (sorry, I don't have a handy dandy source for this)
that Marshall's (following Fleeming Jenkin) approach was motivated by what
went on (goes on) in what was without question the single most important
market at that time for the quality of most peoples' lives, the market for
bread.  In that market, quantity has a strong exogenous element due to
weather. So, one can think of weather determining quantity with price
adjusting as the dependent variable.

Barkley Rosser