From:
[log in to unmask] (Tom Walker)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

The inside back cover of the second Canadian edition of Economics, by
Samuelson and Scott has a "family tree" of economists. The earliest
ancestors of economics are indicated as Aristotle, the Bible and
businessmen and pamphleteers. The classical school runs from Smith to
Ricardo, J.S. Mill and then Marshall with a branch off to the left of
Ricardo for Marx, Lenin, the U.S.S.R. and China. A branch to the right
from just below Smith connects up with Malthus. Keynes is depicted as a
confluence of lineages from Marshall and Malthus (kissing cousins?) with
the neo-classical synthesis being a remixture of Keynes and Marshall.

Particularly interesting to me is that there is no Jevons, Walras, Pareto
or
von Mises on the tree. I'm sure there are heaps of missing links on this
chart. But I would be curious to hear about other instances of genealogical
mapping people have come across.

regards,

Tom Walker
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/covenant.htm