From:
[log in to unmask] (Jonathan D Halvorson)
Date:

I'm currently writing on models of causal explanation
in formal and mathematical social science--especially in economics,
where they tend to be drawn from the philosophy of science and the natural
sciences and then must be modified to fit the practical considerations
indigenous to social science.

Now that that's out of the way, my question is:  When did the
phrase "ceteris paribus" first start appearing in the economics
literature? Does anyone know who first used it in the modern way?  That
is, I would like to find out who first used it to replace the vague sense
that the "laws" of economics must be hedged with the idea that the laws
are perfectly strict and exceptionless as long as specific conditions are
met, and not otherwise.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan Halvorson
Department of Philosophy
Columbia University