From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
[This message is in response to Pete Boettke's contribution to the
DISC theme on the Greatest Economist of the Millenium. Since it
develops a new theme, I have chosen to provide a new DISC thread.--
RBE]

Regarding Peter's comments about vision and analysis:

I was under the impression that Schumpeter, who stressed the
existence of vision in scientific endeavors, was also convinced that
rules of scientific economic analysis will all but eliminate the dangers
posed by vision turning into damging ideology.

He writes in HISORY OF ECONOMIC ANALYSIS:"But we also
observe that the rules of procedure that we apply in our analytic work
are almost as much exempt from ideological influence as vision is
subject to it. Pasionate allegiance and passionate hatred may indeed
tamper with these rules. In themselves these rules, many of which,
moreover, are imposed upon us by scientific practice in fields that are
little or not at all affected by ideology, are pretty effective in showing
up misuse. And, what is equally important, they tend to crush out
ideologically conditioned error from the visions from which they start.
It is their particular virtue, and they do so automatically and
irrespective
of the desires of the reseach worker."

Scumpeter's faith in 'scientific' economic method was indeed very
deep; his immense admiration for Walras was evidence of this.
Heilbroner, on the other hand, has always maintained the difficulty of
separating vision and analysis. In one of his articles on Schumpeter
("Was Scumpeter Right"), he turns the light on Schumpeter himself to
show how his economics was influenced by his vision/ideology.

Sumitra Shah
St. John's University