From:
[log in to unmask] (nathalie sigot)
Date:

On Allais's "self-aggrandizement":

Being a "senior professor in France in past decades" (but neither a "pupil"
nor "supporter" of Allais), I am by definition wholly incompetent about the
origin of stability theorems. Let me then concentrate on the last two
paragraphs of E. Roy Weintraub's point of view:

1) Higher education in France is split in two separate systems, the "Grandes
Ecoles" one (which was created more than two centuries ago to train
engineers and has become in fact the craddle of high-ranking executives and
public officers) and the University one. Allais never belonged to a French
university but has been professor at Ecole des Mines de Paris, one of the
most distinguished "Grandes Ecoles".

2) Higher research in France is split in two separate (although
interconnected) systems, the CNRS one ("Centre National de la Recherche
Scientifique") and the University one. Allais never belonged to a university
research center. He has been a senior researcher ("Directeur de recherche")
at the CNRS and chief of the research center in economics at Ecole des Mines
de Paris.

3) The recruitment of senior university professors in France is completely
different in Economics from what it is in all other disciplines (except Law
and Medicine). This institutional factor is probably in our discipline the
most important "root in the lack of criticism faced in the academic system
by senior professors in France in past decades". But it may have influenced
Allais's behaviour only through the complex alchemy of 1) and 2) above.

4) The fascination exerted still today by French high-level "intellectuels"
on US academics is as surprising as the fascination exerted in the past in
France by Soviet science. It is all the more surprising about economic
issues where Sartre and Foucault were not at their best. I am not sure that
Bourdieu (who always opposed the existence of economics as a separate
science) might be the best judge about modern (or past) history of economic
thought.

5) By the way, it is funny to see Bourdieu drawing on ... Allais in the
introduction to his last book ("Les structures sociales de l'économie",
Paris: Seuil, 2000: 19): "Many observers, notably alerted by specially
clear-sighted economists, like Maurice Allais, have noted that a systematic
gap exists between theoretical models and effective practices" (my
translation, GD). The reference by Bourdieu to Allais is "Le comportement de
l'homme rationnel devant le risque: critique des postulats et axiomes de
l'école américaine" ["The behaviour of the rational man facing risk: a
critique of the postulates and axioms of the american school"],
Econometrica, 21, 1953: 503-46 (yes, in those days, there were still papers
in French in anglo-saxon economic reviews!).

Ghislain Deleplace
Professor at the University Paris 8 (Saint-Denis)