From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Whaples)
Date:

[Note: Three people solved the riddle. Robert gets the nod for being
first -- his message arrived to the list 1 minute before Jens Sandahl's;
Robert sent me a message even earlier. Mathew Forstater sent three
messages to the list, with increasing certainty regarding authorship and
story. His first messages, simply indicating that it was Edgar Allan Poe
came before Robert's. But Robert and Jens were the first to get both
author and story title right.--RBE]

The story is Edgar Allan Poe's "The Purloined Letter."

I found the text by guessing that it was Poe (due to Yuri's penchant for
mystery writers) and searching online.  See
http://www.poedecoder.com/Qrisse/works/purloined.html

RMW