From:
[log in to unmask] (Mathew Forstater)
Date:

Although I apprarently did not win the quiz, I wanted to share with the
list that I am working on a set of papers that argues that the
methodology of Holmes and Dupin should be taken seriously.  I had a
paper in the first number of _Review of Political Economy_ this year
called "Working Backwards: Instrumental Analysis as a Policy
Discovery Procedure" that did not mention Holmes, but later I
discovered that this was exactly the method of Holmes. A number of
other authors have argued that Holmes' method was the method that
Charles Sanders Peirce called abduction or retroduction, and my paper
includes a section of Peirce's methods.  But the paper also includes a
section on the method of the ancient greek geometers that Polya termed
"heuristics" and this is exactly the method of Holmes.  If I could write
the paper over, I would include Holmes, and maybe even Dupin, and I
am currently working on some papers that will examine these issues
and connections.  I would be happy to hear from anyone with interest
in these areas, or suggestions for relevant citations.

Mat Forstater