From:
[log in to unmask] (Javier Finkman)
Date:
Mixed feelings. Yes, popularizing is an incredibly important task and should
be highly rated... but should a "Distinguished Fellow" also require
original thinking? I am not trying to judge Heilbroner's work, but to ask a
more general question.

Let's assume that "distinguished fellowships" are a scarce good (they should
be scarce in order to be "dignity-enhancing"). What would you prefer as a
distinguished fellow, an original thinker or a superior popularizer if you
cannot have both? The Galbraiths or Friedmans or Krugmans (those that
combine both qualities) are rare. Usually talent is also subject to division
of labor gains.

(Once again, I'm asking a general question not even related to
Heilbroner's work).

Javier Finkman