From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Sorry, I left out a word in my first message:

Ross B. Emmett wrote:

>       While the economist may
> want to provide alternative solutions to particular issues, my only real
> "policy-oriented" interest is this: why is it that in the twentieth
> century modern society came to rely on economic science for "solutions"
> to social issues? Or put better: why is it that modern society framed its
> "issues" in ways amenable to being addressed by the social sciences? Or
> again: what is it about modern society that elevates "science" and
> thereby economics to the status previously given to the priesthood?

Ross, if you do not first separate economics from technology, you will not
be able to untangle the mix of influences needed to answer your questions.
Have ordinary people EVER typically turned to the priest in order to deal
with inflation and unemployment? Or to find a better job or a more
profitable business deal? AND I CAN ADD FOR CLARIFICATION: Have people in
general (society) ever regarded business and politics as provinces of the
mystics?

Pat Gunning
http://stsvr.showtower.com.tw/~gunning/welcome.htm