From:
[log in to unmask] (Bill Moore)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING ======================

[NOTE: The following is Bill Moore's response to a posting about his
query (posted here in June) regarding the history of free speech and free
markets. Those interested will find a request at the bottom of the
message.--RBE]

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marshall Feldman wrote:

> I don't know much about Italy in particular, but my understanding is that
> Amsterdam was sort of prototypical as a post-feudal city. Also, there's
the
> well-known feudal saying, "City air makes men free." I suspect you'll
find
> this sort of rhetoric throughout Europe during the late-feudal period (c.
> 1300).

Actually, the Italian City-States will be somewhere around Chapter 5, so
the
Dutch traders will be later.  Chapters 1-4 will deal with the interactions
of
the "freedoms" starting with Sumeria in 3500 BCE.  I hope to be able to
intertwine some of the Oriental Cultures; but I won't guarantee that I'll
be
able to do so -- I'm mostly hoping to make the free(?)-market and free(?)
communications come through the Sumerian origins through the Egyptian
dynasties to the Classical Greeks thence to the Roman Empire.  After that,
tackle the Aquinians and their possible link to the City-States -- with an
eye
on the "future" for the Mercantilists and the Smithian/Ricardian rebuttals.
few stops along the way with Marx, Mill (the elder and the younger),
Marshall
and Mitchell (gets me to the 20th Century); Veblen, Hicks, Knight, Boulding
Ayres, Galbraith, Gordon, and Liebhafsky (gets me to the latter half of the
20th Century).  There may be detours into Durkheim and Weber (and Jan
Tanstaafl, the greatest of all 11th Century Norwegian Economists 8<).  And,
then I'll end by discussing the greatest economist of our time (whomever
s/he
may be, right now I'm leaning toward Alice Rivlin).

Anyone want to volunteer to be an "outside reader/committee member" (that's
permitted here in the Ozarks where we're currently worried about the bears
coming out of the woods since it's been so hot and dry -- that's no joke,
and
doesn't get a never-waste-a-right-parentheses "smilie")?   -- Bill Moore