From:
[log in to unmask] (Scott Cullen)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ==================

[NOTE: I have asked David Levy, who is not currently subscribed to HES, to
write a brief response to the "dismal science" question, because he
recently wrote a paper on Carlyle's use of the term that I think
subscribers will find interesting. Of course, other responses are always
welcome!! -- RBE]

>Could someone remind me of who first used, and where, the phrase the
"dismal science".  Was it Thomas Carlyle?  Where?
>Steve Cullenberg>

Heilbroner, Robert L.,1986.  The Worldly Philosophers, 6th Edition.  NY:
Simon & Schuster, p.78.  Heilbroner confirms Carlyle used the term but does
note cite date or work.  He does suggest that Carlyle used them term on
reading Malthus.  So was the science dismal or Malthus's theory on
population?

Scott Cullen