From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
================ HES POSTING =======================

Irving Fisher was one of several innovative American economists who
learned, and in some respect actively promoted, the Austrian
subjective value theory, which was introduced by Carl Menger in 1861
and popularized by Eugen Bohm Bawerk and Friedrich Wieser beginning
in the late 1880s. Other prominent Americans in this field and of
this generation were Frank Fetter and Herbert Davenport.

These writers took the Austrian lead in defining _value as price_.
Thus, the subjective theory of value was not a theory about value or
worth in some intrinsic sense but a theory of market prices and
costs. The question they asked was: what causes the prices of final
goods and the costs of the factors of production to be what they
are? This is the same question asked by the classical economists.
The difference is that whereas the classicals had separate theories
of the price of wages, rent, interest, and profit, the latter sought
what Menger called a _unified theory of price_.

The most sophisticated answer given by the Austrians was that the
prices of goods and factors are determined simultaneously by the
consumer wants and entrepreneurs' knowledge of those wants along
with their knowledge of the alternatives available for satisfying
those wants. This famous doctrine of subjective opportunity costs
(or subjective theory of value and costs) was expressed in writings
by Wieser, Bohm Bawerk, Davenport, and David Green (another
American) before the turn of the century.

Bohm Bawerk was the first within this new framework to try to
incorporate interest. But he was criticized for his notion that
interest depends on the materialist idea of the physical
productivity of production methods that involve different degrees of
roundaboutness. I believe that Fetter was the first among the
Americans to make this criticism. And he may have been the first,
period. His criticism was followed by Fisher and Davenport, each of
whom claimed to be "more subjectivist" than Bohm Bawerk on the
matter. The argument made by Fetter and Fisher was that instead of
physical productivity, it was value productivity that mattered.
These writers benefitted, by the way, from the "great" capital
controversy between Bohm Bawerk and John Bates Clark, who had
independently produced his own version of what had come to be known
as the Austrian theory (following Menger).

I am not as clear on Fisher's contribution as I am on that of Fetter
and Davenport. So I will mainly write about them. The subjectivist
criticism of Bohm Bawerk by Fetter seems to have assumed that an
interest rate already was in existence which reflected or which
could be used to determine the value productivity of production
methods of different degrees of roundaboutness. That is, it assumed
the existence of a market which a more fundamental theory would
presumably have had to explain. Thus, one could easily claim that
even if Bohm Bawerk was incorrect, he had been concerned with a more
fundamental question than that of Fetter.

This was Davenport's view (a view, by the way, which Fetter did not
seem to grasp). Davenport sought to construct the underpinnings of a
market for loanable funds and therefore of interest. His theory was
based partly on time preference and partly on entrepreneurship's
knowledge of the methods of satisfying wants over time. He argued
that these underpinnings enabled him to develop a much more general
theory of the prices of goods and factors than had previously been
produced. In other words, he believed that he solved the problem
that Bohm Bawerk had set out to solve.

To my knowledge, which I admit is incomplete on this issue, Fisher
seems to have abandoned his concern with this more fundamental
issue, preferring to deal with issues that were less in what we
today call the microeconomic realm and more in what we call the
macroeconomic realm.

There is a lot of useful information on the history and theoretical
issues in:

Davenport, H. (1908). Value and Distribution. Chicago: University of
Chicago Press.

Davenport's more complete and sophisticated presentation of his own
theory is in:

Davenport, H. (1914). Economics of Enterprise. New York: Macmillan.

As you probably know, Davenport has been very much neglected.

Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gunning/welcome.htm