From:
[log in to unmask] (Martin C. Tangora)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

I am trying to assess the importance of Arthur J. (for Jerome) Eddy, a
pioneering corporate lawyer, and a writer on economics, law, and modern
art.

This is an urgent matter because his house is threatened by demolition and
until now nobody realized the importance of the owner, or rather, nobody
connected this house to this man.

Arthur J. Eddy wrote two economics books that had some impact at the time.
One, The New Competition (1912), was reprinted in the 1980s, suggesting a
lasting importance.  An earlier book was about trusts.

If anyone can provide an expert opinion about his significance in
economics and economic history, it might have an impact on the effort to
preserve his house.  Already I have received this:

"Eddy pioneered the modern trade association in the early twentieth
century. In this respect, he played a central role in the organization of
American capitalism--and all this quite apart from the contribution his
treatises made." Daniel R. Ernst, Professor of Law, Georgetown University
Law Center

Thanks in advance

Martin C. Tangora, Vice President
Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois
 (312) 996-3064