From:
[log in to unmask] (J. Barkley Rosser, Jr.)
Date:

Mike [Lynch],

You are correct.  The wording in the IEA paper is confusing and can
lead one to believe that it was Hermann.  Apparently Hermann was the
first to argue for the generality of upward-sloping supply curves that
then led to (Streissler, IEA, p. 13):

"But there was also one further consequence of Hermann's thought.
In the fourth edition of his theory text-book, and ever after, Rau in an
appendix (Rau 1841, p. 525-527) presented an explicitly argued
demand curve and a demand and supply diagram.  It was not the first
in the history of economic thought: Cournot (1838) had preceded him
by three years.  But it is the first with price on the vertical and quantity
on the horizontal axis: the Marshallian demand curve is born!"

I apologize for my careless reading and thus my misleading of those on
this list.  It was Rau, not Hermann.

Barkley Rosser