From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter Boettke)
Date:

I was a student of Kenneth Boulding's in the late 1980s at GMU and
had him for a course in Great Books in Political Economy.  In addition,
my fellow student David Prychitko and I spent a tremendous amount of
informal time with Boulding -- going to lunch and meeting with him in
his townhouse etc.  And Prychitko and I talked to him about this.  He
just argued that Knight was conducting his course and complaining
about the Austrians, etc. and Boulding wrote up this paper in his class
dealing with Fisher and the Austrians on time, etc. and Knight decided
to write a comment and publish it _before_ Boulding's paper even
circulated to journals.  On the basis of Knight's paper, Boulding said
his career was made and as a result he did not finish his PhD in
economics and instead started his academic career.

Prychitko and I have a paper written originally for a Spanish language
journal for a special issue honoring Boulding after his death and later
published in Larry Moss's book with Routledge which is entitled "Mr
Boulding and the Austrians."

Pete

I look forward to Ross's insights on the details from Knight's side.