From:
[log in to unmask] (Scott Cullen)
Date:

I agree that there are many, perhaps infinitely describable markets and
for any model to be at all useful the particular application must be
clearly stated.   That is of course unless the model purports to be some
unifying general theory of all economic activity, but whether any such
thing can exist is way beyond my level of understanding.

The thing that would be confusing for me in equating "the market" and
the economy is that I understand markets to be transactional, exchange
environments in which prices are explicit.  In any transaction price =
value and that can be abstracted or aggregated to "market value."  But I
understand the "economy" to include non-market goods for which
there are not generally transactions or explicit prices.  But consumers
and producers and governments must make decisions about the
"value" of those non-market goods.

Scott Cullen