From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter G. Stillman)
Date:

Steve Kates (and others) have provided lots of neat information on
Say's Law.

He suggested in his post that until 1936 mainstream economists argued
that supply could not outrun demand (and so 'overproduction' was
impossible).

My question (I am a historian of political philosophy, not an
economist!) is, why and how could they argue that overproduction was
impossible? Or, perhaps to be more explicit about what is in my mind,
both Hegel in the Philosophy of Right (1821), after citing Smith,
Ricardo, and Say, and Marx from the Communist Manifesto onwards,
thought it was clear that supply could and did outrun demand.  (I
would also think it would be clear to any observer of economic
recessions and depressions from the end of the Napoleonic Wars to
the present that supply could outrun demand.)

So, basing my thoughts on Hegel, Marx, and simple (simplistic?)
observation (using perceptions formed, perhaps, by reading the Grapes
of Wrath at an impressionable age), I have always been suspicious of
Say's Law, thinking it a piece of economic science that (to use Marxist
language) shows how ideological some dimensions of mainstream
economics is.

Peter G. Stillman