From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter Boettke)
Date:
Dear HES Colleagues,

I am pasting below a message sent out to various e-lists to raise
awareness of the Society for the Development of Austrian Economics and
the Review of Austrian Economics.  The RAE is a sympathetic outlet for
those working in the history of economic thought and methodology.  In
addition, we are quite open to diversity in intellectual and ideological
perspectives provided the work engages issues of concern to those
working in the Austrian tradition (very broadly defined).

Anyway, I hope you will see this as an opportunity you will want to
pursue, and please pass along to colleagues that you think might also be
interested.

Thanks,

Pete Boettke

May 25, 2000

Dear Colleague:

I am writing to inform you of some intellectual opportunities that I
hope you will want to take advantage of.  In 1998 I was named the
editor of the Review of Austrian Economics (published by Kluwer
Academic Publishers), and last fall I was named President-Elect of the
Society for the Development of Austrian Economics (SDAE). I am writing
to invite you to join the SDAE and in particular take advantage of the
special discount offered to SDAE members on the Review of Austrian
Economics.

Formed in 1996, the SDAE has over 100 members in a number of countries
world-wide. Our collective goal is to advance the ideas of Menger,
Mises, and Hayek and other economists of the Austrian school through
both internal development and interaction with the ideas of other
related approaches to economics. We have a very catholic interpretation
of *Austrian Economics* and encourage the development of the research
program along multiple directions.  We hold an annual meeting and
dinner as part of the Southern Economic Association meetings. Because
of enthusiastic attendance over the past few years, the SEA has agreed
to expand the number of SDAE sessions at the annual SEA meetings.  This
year the meetings are to be held on November 10-12, 2000 in Crystal
City, VA (right outside of DC).  The SDAE is sponsoring 9 sessions,
plus holding our annual dinner. We sponsor the annual Smith Prize in
Austrian Economics for the best book and article on Austrian economics,
and a graduate student paper competition.

Below I have provided a link to an SDAE membership form for 2000. Dues
are $15/year and entitle members to Volume 13 (2000) of the Review of
Austrian Economics at a price of $30, a substantial savings off the
individual subscription price of $205.  In addition, I have also
provided links to a call for papers for the Review of Austrian
Economics, the table of contents for the issues that have appeared
under my editorship, and the editorial that I wrote upon my assumption
of the editorial duties of the journal. The Review of Austrian
Economics is currently published twice a year, but with Vol. 14 (2001)
it will be moving to four issues a year.

I hope that you will take advantage of this opportunity and contribute
to the further development of economic science in a direction that
emphasizes the role of institutions, social change, and
entrepreneurship.  Do not hesitate to contact me with questions either
about the RAE or the SDAE.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Boettke

pjb:kls