From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
================== HES POSTING ======================

Over the past couple of days, the EH.RES list has had a brief discussion
thread in response to the following query:

++++++

Some years ago I read that both Schumpeter and Keynes believed that
having detailed knowledge about economic history was essential for any
economic theorist. Does anyone know where I can find Schumpeter and Keynes
making this statement.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

J. Peter Murmann
Assistant Professor of Organization Behavior
J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management
Northwestern University

+++++++

I thought members of this list would appreciate seeing a couple of the
HES are welcome! -- RBE

++++++++

>From John Munro (Toronto)

Joseph A. Schumpter, A History of Economic Analysis (ed. from manuscript by
Elizabeth Boody Schumpeter), New York: Oxford University Press, 1959, pp.
12-14.

"Of these fundamental fields [history, statistics, theory], economic
history -- which issues into and includes present day facts -- is by far
the most important. I wish to state right now that, if starting my work in
economics afresh, I were told that I could study only one of the three but
could have my choice, it would be economic history that I should choose.
And this on three grounds. First, the subject matter of economics is
essentially a unique process in historic time. Nobody can hope to
understand the economic phenomena of any, including the present, epoch who
has not an adequate command of historical facts and an adequate amout of
historical sense or of what may be described as historical experience.
Second, the historical report cannot be purely economic but must inevitably
reflect also 'institutional' facts that are not purely economic: therefore
it affords the best method for understanding how economic and non-economic
facts are related to one another.  Third, it is, I believe, the fact that
most of the fundamental errors currently committed in economic analysis are
due to a lack of historical experience more often than to any other
shortcoming of the economist's equipment......

[I have found that this statement cuts no ice with any of my colleagues in
Economics, or virtually none]

++++++

> From: Deirdre McCloskey

Dear Professor Murman,

I wonder what your rhetorical project is.  If it is to persuade the Kellogg
School to take something other than game theory seriously, I am afraid it
is doomed.  But having fought the same fight (e.g.  "Does the Past Have
Useful Economics?" Journal of Economic Literature June 1976 [I think]) I
sympathize.  But people who will not hire business historians because the
past is about dead people are not, I warn you, going to be impressed by
quotations from great economists past, who are themselves dead people.

The locus classicus for Schumpeter's opinions about the tripod of History,
Theory, Statistics (which characterizes his scientific work itself) is the
(posthumous) History of Economic Analysis, Oxford UP 1954. Chp. 2, section
1, pp. 12-13:

"Of these three fields [history, statistics, and theory], economic
history--which issues into and includes present-day facts--is by far the
most important" (p. 12)

"most of the fundamental errors currently committed in economic analysis
are due to lack of historical experience more often than to any other
shortcoming of the economist's equipment" (p. 13)

"economic history being part of economics, the historian's techniques are
passengers in the big bus that we call economic analysis. . . . [L]et us
remember: Latin palaeography . . . is one of the techniques of economic
analysis" [p. 13]

Keynes was always willing to use the claim "history shows that" (= "I
propose to assert without evidence that") but his real enthusiasm was not
for economic history but for the history of economic thought--that is, not
old economies but old economists.  Thus his Essays in Biography, the essays
on Malthus, marshall, Jevons, Newton, and Mary Paley Marshall, and his
famous remark in the last paragraph of The General Theory, "Concluding
Notes":

    The ideas of economists and polical philosophers, both when they
    are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is
    commonly understood.  Indeed, the world is ruled by little else.
    Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any
    intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct
    economist.  Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are
    distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few
    years back.

That last sentence is one every economist ought to have by heart.