From:
[log in to unmask] (Jaap Weel)
Date:
Fri Jun 13 15:02:31 2008
> [Mises] therefore posits an intuitively obvious but
> hitherto unnoticed science. You will pardon me if I remain a skeptic.

So do I. But I have a question.

Mises called his praxeology (which I believed he used to call
"sociology" earlier on) a "Wissenschaft" in German, an a "science" in
English. Did he mistranslate?

The German word "Wissenschaft" means "academic discipline" or "scholarly
endeavor" rather than "science." Germans speak of Rechtswissenschaft
("legal science"), Ingenieurswisschenschaft ("engineering science") and
Strukturwissenschaft ("structural science," i.e. math, logic).

In English, you can't do that. That's why Caltech's advertising slogan
is "the world's best playground for math, science, and engineering," and
not "the world's best playground for science" -- if they chose the
latter, the mathematicians and the engineers would feel left out.

The difference between "science" and "Wissenschaft" seems relevant to me
here, because it seems that you could make a case that Misesian
economics is a Wissenschaft but not a science. Or in other words, it is
a scholarly endeavor, but like math and unlike physics, it is not a
self-consciously empirical, Popperian scholarly endeavor.

Jaap Weel