From:
Alana LaPerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:03:08 -0600
Sherry,

I appreciate your comments, particularly since I know we have very different
perspectives. I am not saying that people are on the welfare roles because
of low education or self-esteem. In fact, I do not purport to be an expert
in this area in any way and only offered those examples to clarify the word
"resources." I am simply trying to understand the problem. In fact, I think
we are both saying the same thing: that people need structural and personal
resources to make healthy choices. My question is, what do poor people need?
Governments seem to see prenatal education and support as "primary
prevention." To me, that doesn't get at the real problem which is, as you
pointed out in your original message, a "lack of basic economic resources."

Alana