From:
[log in to unmask] (Steve Cullenberg)
Date:
================ HES POSTING ====================

[Since this message may initiate a different line of discussion than the
origin of terms thread, I have given this message a new subject line. --
RBE]

Following on this thread of the origins of the coinage of the term
"neoclassical", I wonder if anyone can point me to any research that has
been done on the origin, and development of, the rise to dominance in
U.S. especially of neoclassical economics in graduate education.

I am not referring to the development of ideas, but rather to the
development of institutions.  How exactly did the neoclassical guys do
it? How could they gain so much institutional power?  How is it that
virtually every PhD program now is of the same mold, even if that means
being a fourth rate MIT?  And this, despite the strong recommendations for
diversity by COGEE nine years ago?

A recent draft report of ICARE by John Adams (ICARE is the International
Confederation of Associations for the Reform of Economics, reprots that
its member associations total 5000 members.  The AEA has roughly 22,000
members today.  How exactly are so many excluded from graduate education.
And how exactly did this institutionalization of neoclassical economics
happen?

Steve Cullenberg