From:
[log in to unmask] (John Davis)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING =====================

The Economics of Scientific Knowledge

John Davis
Department of Economics
Marquette University

Wade Hands, in his recent HES editorial "SSK as a Resource for the
History of Economic Thought"
(http://www.eh.net/~HisEcSoc/Resources/Editorials/Hands/), briefly
surveyed the sociology of scientific knowledge (SSK), and generated
debate over what SSK involves. For economists, historians of economic
thought, and economic methodologists, perhaps the most interesting
SSK-like approach is the economics of scientific knowledge (ESK). ESK is
much like SSK, but uses economic concepts rather than sociological
concepts to analyze what scientists do and what the content of science
involves. Actually, recent ESK is probably better characterized as
neoclassical ESK, since the economics concepts used are rational choice,
utility maximization, self-interest, cost-benefit calculation, efficiency,
the marketplace of ideas, equilibrium, and so on. There is a
non-neoclassical ESK based in heterodox economics that emphasizes
institutional structures, but most of the current attention given to ESK
adopts neoclassical concepts. In particular, philosophers such as Philip
Kitcher (1993) appear intent on explaining the 'progressiveness' of
science as an invisible hand process (cf. Hands, 1995, Mirowski, 1996).

A key feature of both SSK and ESK, Hands has argued (forthcoming), is that
they 'endogenize' the content of science by explaining it in terms of
social and economic factors, thereby treating scientific knowledge as
socially constituted and contingent, rather than as something objectively
privileged and universal. Few today dispute this basic lesson originally
outlined by Thomas Kuhn, but some, concerned that SSK and ESK imply
thorough-going relativism, wish to recover some semblance of epistemic
stability and detachment for science. Among them are those who believe the
logic of the market and neoclassical economics provide, or will provide,
an account of science as being above the social fray. For two reasons,
this seems a flawed vision.

First, because neoclassical economics is only a theory of market exchange,
it must re-shape and squeeze the social production process that science
involves into the categories and language of self-interested traders. No
one would deny that there are dimensions of the science world that will
fit this market story. But any casual investigation of how science is done
will quickly show a range of social relationships and processes that go
beyond exchange activities. Indeed, even where exchange processes are
involved, it is hardly obvious that the neoclassical atomistic agent
corresponds to the real actors in science.

One particular point of disanalogy between science and a neoclassical
exchange process may be cited to reinforce this point. As a theory of
market exchange, neoclassical economics needs to model scientific thought
as a body of discrete, transferrable commodities over which individuals
have exclusive private property rights. Now of course there is the patent
system, but clearly innovation often speeds around patent rights precisely
because no one owns the vast edifice of scientific thinking. How well, for
example, is the development of basic theory in gene science modelled on
commodity exchange? And, are scientific results and research findings
published in academic and scholarly journals a form of property with the
same exclusivity conditions as things people buy at the mall? Questions
such as these suggest that the issue confronting ESK should be less how to
represent science as a market process, and more just where does science
come into contact with the market. This brings up my second reason for
saying we should be reluctant to turn to the logic of the market to
explain science.

SSK was originally intended - in the Strong Program and social
constructivism - to broaden our understanding of science by adding to the
list of factors thought instrumental to its development. Indeed it was no
accident that a *sociology* of scientific knowledge developed for this
purpose, since the social factors sociology considers were thought to be
the types of factors operating in science production process. 'Social'
factors? Clearly these are factors not reducible to individual behavior.
Social factors are causal items based on relationships between
individuals, on institutions, on community practices.

But current neoclassical ESK, no one can deny, is
individual-reductionist. It firmly denies that social factors not
ultimately reducible to individual behavior exist. Its project is thus not
to add to the list of kinds of factors explaining science, especially as
put forward by SSK, but to *subtract* from that list all those 'social'
factors admitted in by SSK. And, when it does attempt transitions from the
individual to the social,' the outcome is mixed at best (cf. the
Sonnenschein-Mantel-Debreu results). In effect, then, for those favoring a
neoclassical ESK, the glass is not half full; it's completely full!
Nothing more really need be added to the glass, presumably, because
neoclassicism is both comprehensive and essentially complete as a science
of economic life.

Thus the second reason to be highly reluctant regarding the market view of
science is that this view subverts Kuhn's original insight and the intent
behind SSK. Kuhn and SSK de-throne an ahistorical and essentialist
science, exposing this modernist ideal as an illusion. Neoclassical ESK,
however, says that the 'real' science is supply-and-demand. Henceforth, we
are told, please translate accordingly.

The conception of explanation as translation takes us back nearly a half
century to back before Quine's critique of analyticity and sameness of
meaning (1951). The period since then, it seems fair to say, has made it
clear that there is no such thing as a master discourse, neither one
provided by philosophy as  the mirror of nature' (Rorty, 1979), nor one in
the form of neoclassical economics of Arrow and Debreu (Mirowski, 1989;
Weintraub, 1991; Hands, 1994). Does this make it impossible to understand
scientific thought? Is there anything that 'grounds' scientific thought in
a manner different from the way foundationalist and positivist
epistemologies were to have had it? Let me conclude with brief remarks on
an alternative ontological approach to the grounding' of science.

Andrew Pickering (1995) characterizes scientific culture, not as
representational knowledge, but "an assemblage of multiple and
heterogeneous elements" made and created out of scientists' accommodations
to the resistances of the material world (p. x). 'Grounding' science is
not finding correspondence between theory and reality, but seeing how
particular "skills and social relations, machines and instruments, as well
as scientific facts and theories" (p. 3) are temporally emergent at
particular times. Or, as Tony Lawson (1997) puts it, we find out how the
world works when we engage in experimental activity designed to create
special circumstances that trigger mechanisms we suspect operate in the
world. What causal mechanisms and structures we attribute to the world
depend on what attempts we make at experimental control of the world. We
thus  ground' our understanding of these mechanisms in the particular
practical efforts we make to isolate them.

For both Pickering and Lawson, scientists are  producers' whose ideas and
intentions are a changing reflection of their intervention in a world
whose underlying structure is opaque and resists exploration. Thus
scientists don't so much mirror and represent reality in thought as work
upon it. We may investigate the practices this involves to understand the
development of scientific thought. An ESK based on this vision of science
as a social-production process would contribute to explanation of the
factors influencing the social determination of scientific beliefs.