AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:46:59 -0500
Happy New Year to all!

I have been asked to post the following on behalf of an AAO member and
apologize for any cross-postings.
Please direct any questions to Blanche Lewis.  Thanks.

Subject: Special Opportunity for the Right Person

Dear Members of the Archival Community:

There is an extremely exciting collection of records, known as the "NOSER
COLLECTION" at the Divine Word University in Madang.  This University has
a distinguished history itself, but it has become a repository for colonial
records of Catholic missions, records relating to the Japanese involvement
during WWII, and other more recent records. These records have
considerable historical value, as well as evidential value for the Roman
Catholic Church. The extent of the records was difficult to judge on the
day I went to survey them. To be honest, they were not very well
organised, but at an estimate I would say that there must be *at least* 15
metres of correspondence, maps, photographs and other documents.

In early September Fr. Jan became interested in the possibility that I
might be able to come in 1999 and work as archivist for the Noser
Collection.  I began immediately to arrange academic supervision with the
CEO of the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau at Australia National University,
and was beginning to make some preliminary queries about the collection
when...I became very sick with malaria... within a fortnight!

Divine Word University is a Catholic Institution, and its president,
Father Jan Czuba, is a very progressive priest. I was most impressed by
his kindness. By all accounts he is also quite fair and accessible in his
role as administrator of the University.  He is known for his preferred
approach of meeting with the local people on their own terms and
protecting their interests, as well as doing much to advance
post-secondary education in PNG.

Certainly he is extremely passionate about the university's Noser
Archives, and told me at one point that the existence of this important
collection of records aroused his enthusiasm to accept the position of DWU
president in Madang long before he arrived.  He is most concerned that the
records are protected from environmental hazards of all kinds.  Nor does
he wish to see other threats arise, such as plunders by document treasure hunters or
careless actions by caretakers or researchers who may inadvertently
destroy the intellectual integrity of the archives.

Fr. Jan would like to communicate as soon as possible with any interested
archivists, and he says that he will talk about possibilities for visa or
travel arrangements with anyone who is seriously considering taking on the
position. Whoever decides that perhaps this is just the right kind of
adventure they have been looking for should also be prepared for the
rigours of life in a poor tropical country and for the fact that she/he
would receive a relatively low income (but quite sufficient to live and
eat in a comfortable manner).  Potential candidates can send queries about
living and working conditions to me if they wish, and I encourage them to
do so. The position would last for a year or more, depending on the a
number of factors.

Fr. Jan Czuba can be reached at this address:

Divine Word University
P.O. Box 483
Madang
Papua New Guinea

Telephone (675) 852-2937
Fax       (675) 852-2812
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Also the CEO of the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau, Ewan Maidment, can be
reached at this e-mail address: [log in to unmask]  He values the
collection a great deal too, considering it one of the more important ones
in the Pacific Region for its historical value, and he is anxious to see
that it is administered properly. I found that he was glad about the
prospect of someone with Canadian archival experience arranging,
describing and maintaining the holdings (and in good time providing
judicious access), and he was quite responsive to my appeals for support
and information.

Anyway, this e-mail is my way of fulfilling a promise I made to Fr.Jan on
the day that I very reluctantly told him that I must return home soon and
did not expect to return to Papua New Guinea for quite some time, if ever.
I agreed to spread the word about the availability of the position in
Canada, so that any interested candidates with an archival background can
apply.

Anywone you is genuinely interested in this position may send e-mail to
this address to inquire further about living and working conditions:

**** PLEASE do not send e-mail to AAO or to the poster of this message,
who is merely posting on my behalf.

Thank you.

Blance Lewis