BHS Archives

School Health Policy Management

BHS@YORKU.CA

School Health Policy Management <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:19:42 +0000
text/plain (37 kB) , text/html (171 kB) , image.png (70 kB) , image.png (454 kB) , image.png (908 kB) , image.png (183 kB) , image.png (185 kB) , image.png (127 kB) , image.png (315 kB) , image.png (396 kB) , image.png (93 kB) , image.png (516 kB) , image.png (18 kB) , image.png (508 kB) , image.png (42 kB) , image.png (97 kB) , image.png (19 kB)
Forwarding on the following weekly event announcements.

For the latest updates on York University’s COVID-19 health & safety plans, please visit: https://www.yorku.ca/bettertogether/students/

Regards,

Domenica
School of Health Policy & Management

York University

Undergraduate Program Website:  http://shpm.info.yorku.ca/

________________________________

Sent: Monday, July 4, 2022 10:19 AM
Subject: Calumet & Stong Colleges’ Upcoming Events - Week of July 4, 2022 & Looking Ahead

While we are practicing social distancing physically we do not want you to distance yourself from us virtually.  Take this opportunity to join our Instagram and Facebook pages and connect with us on LinkedIn.  Our team is exploring different ways we can support you online.  If you have any questions and/or ideas about how we can support you online please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Stay Connected with Calumet!

      [Instagram logo] <https://www.instagram.com/calumet.york/>                [Facebook logo] <https://www.facebook.com/calumet.york/>               [Website icon] <https://www.yorku.ca/colleges/calumet/>                 [LinkedIn logo] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/ccscyu/>

Stay Connected with Stong!

      [Instagram logo] <https://www.instagram.com/stong.york/>                [Facebook logo] <https://www.facebook.com/yorkustongcollege>               [Website icon] <https://www.yorku.ca/colleges/stong/>                 [LinkedIn logo] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/ccscyu/>

Calumet and Stong Colleges (CCSC) support York University's<https://president.yorku.ca/files/2020/06/Next-Steps-in-Yorks-plan-to-address-anti-Black-racism.pdf?x79145> statements about standing together to fight anti-Black racism<https://yfile.news.yorku.ca/2020/06/01/statement-york-university-stands-together-against-anti-black-racism/?utm_source=YFile_Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Top-Stories&utm_campaign=yfile%20%20>.

CCSC are committed to inspiring learning, leadership and citizenship and value mentorship and being student centric, engaged, collaborative, and bold.

The success of our students depends on our collective willingness and ability to listen, to be kind, to look after ourselves and each other, to work together, and to lead with Respect, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion<https://rights.info.yorku.ca/>. We do not condone or tolerate racism, prejudice or discrimination in CCSC. We are committed to supporting our CCSC Peer Leaders and Student Organizations and our York and CCSC community to stop anti-Black racism and systemic discrimination of all kinds. We will also collaborate with others to strengthen our student success programming to help our Colleges and students foster a just and fair world.  For more information and to connect with us, email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or visit our website https://ccscss.info.yorku.ca/online-student-support/

Student Community & Leadership Development (SCLD) Anti-Racist Resources<https://scld.yorku.ca/files/2020/06/Anti-Racist-Resource-Share-1.pdf?x58704>

[We Stand With You Calumet and Stong Colleges (CCSC) support York University's statements about standing together to fight anti-Black racism.  BLACK LIVES MATTER  White lettering on a black background and black lettering on a white background.]

VOLUNTEER FOR FALL 2022 ORIENTATION – Apply By Friday, July 15, 2022 @ 11:59pm

Are you looking to get involved in the community? Do you want to apply and develop your skills in the workplace? We have the perfect opportunity for you!

Calumet & Stong Colleges are recruiting volunteers for Fall 2022 Orientation! You will have a variety of opportunities, online and in-person, to work with YorkU Staff, Undergraduate Departments, and your Peer Leaders in welcoming new students to the university. These are the biggest events at York with over 2000 attendees from the Faculty of Health. Volunteering with the 2022 Orientation Team is an excellent opportunity to help your community while developing critical professional skills in communication, collaboration, problem-solving, time management, and more!

The following events you will help prepare and facilitate are:

  1.  Parent & Family Orientation – Online
  2.  Academic Orientation – Online
  3.  York Orientation Day – In Person

NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY BUT AN ASSET!

If you are interested in volunteering with the Orientation Team at Calumet & Stong Colleges, please complete your application by Friday, July 15th at 11:59 PM. For more details on roles, dates, and training please visit the application link!

We can’t wait to have you on the 2022 Orientation Team and work with you to welcome everyone to campus!

Important: If you are a member of BSIP, GHSA, KAHSSO, SAHMPI, NSTAMP, NSAY, 2NA, or UPSA, PLEASE SIGN UP FOR ACADEMIC ORIENTATION AND YORK ORIENTATION DAY THROUGH THE FORMS WE PROVIDED TO YOUR CLUB PRESIDENTS. They will provide you with a separate registration form and registration sheet.

APPLICATION LINK: tinyurl.com/CCSC-Crew<https://tinyurl.com/CCSC-Crew>

APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, July 15th at 11:59 PM

[Calumet & Stong Colleges are recruiting volunteers for Fall 2022 Orientation! You will have a variety of opportunities, online and in-person, to work with YorkU Staff, Undergraduate Departments, and your Peer Leaders in welcoming new students to the university. These are the biggest events at York with over 2000 attendees from the Faculty of Health. Volunteering with the 2022 Orientation Team is an excellent opportunity to help your community while developing critical professional skills in communication, collaboration, problem-solving, time management, and more!     The following events you will help prepare and facilitate are:     Parent & Family Orientation – Online Academic Orientation – Online York Orientation Day – In Person    NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY BUT AN ASSET!     If you are interested in volunteering with the Orientation Team at Calumet & Stong Colleges, please complete your application by Friday, July 15th at 11:59 PM.     We can’t wait to have you on the 2022 Orientation Team and work with you to welcome everyone to campus!     For more details on roles, dates, and training please visit the application link!        IMPORTANT: If you are a member of BSIP, GHSA, KAHSSO, SAHMPI, NSTAMP, NSAY, 2NA, or UPSA, PLEASE SIGN UP FOR ACADEMIC ORIENTATION AND YORK ORIENTATION DAY THROUGH THE FORMS WE PROVIDED TO YOUR CLUB PRESIDENTS. They will provide you with a separate registration form and registration sheet.  Application Link: tinyurl.com/CCSC-Crew  APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, July 15th at 11:59 PM]

APPLY TO BE AN O-LEADER WITH CALUMET COLLEGE – Apply By Friday, July 15, 2022 @ 11:59pm

Hey Calumet! Are you ready to be back on campus???

Join us and be part of Calumet College's Social Orientation Week! Be an Orientation Leader or Captain by completing this application by Friday, July 15th at 11:59pm.

O-Week will start on Saturday, August 27th until Tuesday, September 6th, 2022. All O-Leaders/Captains will receive training and previous leadership/frosh experience will be an asset.

Registration link: http://tinyurl.com/CalumetFrosh22

Perks of O-Leaders?

As an O-Leader, you will have access to all events and activities during O-Week! This is an amazing opportunity to gain leadership skills, be involved with in-person and online activities, and meet friends as we welcome first year students at York University.

Mandatory dates to consider:

Interviews: July 18th - 22nd

Training: TBD

Orient the Leader (OTL) Training: Thursday, August 25th (time TBD)

For questions and inquiries, please email Kaye Canoy at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[Calumet O-Week - Orientation leader and captain applications are now open! Register by visiting tinyurl.com/CalumetFrosh2022 or by clicking the link in the description. Applications are open until Friday, July 15th at 11:59pm]

CAREER EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT

Discover On-Campus Summer Jobs through YU Hire and our Job Portal
Work with York University this summer through one of the various Work/Study positions available across
campus. For more information about how to apply to work/study positions, click here.<[log in to unmask]&url=https://sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-work-study-and-leap-positions" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=https://sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-work-study-and-leap-positions>

View available Work/Study positions through the York University Career website, YU Hire. <[log in to unmask]&url=https://www.yorku.ca/jobs" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=https://www.yorku.ca/jobs>

Research @ York (RAY) Positions: There are over 100 RAY postings accepting applications from eligible
undergraduate students interested in supporting the research culture at York! To learn more about
eligibility and applying to RAY positions via the Career Education & Development Job Portal, click here<[log in to unmask]&url=https://sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=https://sfs.yorku.ca/work-study-programs/how-to-apply-for-ray-positions>.

View available Research @ York positions by logging into the Career Education & Development Job Portal.<[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork>

Explore internships, summer jobs and full-time roles after graduation with various employers via the Career
Education & Development Job Portal.<[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork>

Students and recent grads can register for our webinars and virtual employer networking events, or book
1:1 virtual or in-person appointments with our career educators and career counsellors via Career Education
& Development Registration Portal.<[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork" target="_blank">https://experience.yorku.ca/emailStat.htm?action=redirect&email=838&[log in to unmask]&url=http://careers.yorku.ca/experienceyork>

For questions, reach out to us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

APPLY NOW TO BECOME UPSA'S PEER AMBASSADOR – Deadline Monday, July 4, 2022 @ 11:59pm

UPSA is recruiting Peer Ambassadors!

The Undergraduate Psychology Student Association (UPSA) is recruiting volunteers for the 2022-2023 academic year. Our club’s mission is to empower students within the psychology student community by providing a platform for engagement. As a volunteer, you gain the opportunity to aid in the student success of York students. If this sounds interesting to you, then apply to be a General Ambassador or Marketing Ambassador with UPSA.

Responsibilities of volunteers include:

  *   General Ambassadors: helping out with event creation and facilitation, newsletter writing and editing, and tabling.
  *   Marketing Ambassadors: helping out with video and podcast editing, and poster creation.

For more information about each role, please read the Volunteer Recruitment Letter<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jSkjkEPH_fyeKbbxIESk0gHZhPEdlu0HgDvBa_rxZg4/edit?usp=sharing>.

Click here to apply to be an UPSA volunteer<https://tinyurl.com/upsarecruit2022>! The deadline to apply is July 4th, 2022 by 11:59 PM EST

[The Undergraduate Psychology Student Association (UPSA) is recruiting volunteers for the 2022-2023 academic year. Our club’s mission is to empower students within the psychology student community by providing a platform for engagement. As a volunteer, you gain the opportunity to aid in the student success of York students. If this sounds interesting to you, then apply to be a General Ambassador or Marketing Ambassador with UPSA.   Responsibilities of volunteers include:  General Ambassadors: helping out with event creation and facilitation, newsletter writing and editing, and tabling.  Marketing Ambassadors: helping out with video and podcast editing, and poster creation.   For more information about each role, please read the Volunteer Recruitment Letter.   Click here to apply to be an UPSA volunteer! The deadline to apply is July 4th, 2022 by 11:59 PM EST]

THE STUDENT ASSOCIATION OF HEALTH MANAGEMENT, POLICY AND INFORMATICS (SAHMPI) IS HIRING – Apply By Monday, July 4, 2022 @ 11:59pm

​Do you want to work with a vibrant group of students, gain valuable skills and lifelong connections? Join our team; SAHMPI is hiring peer tutors, peer mentors, and ambassadors! We’re currently recruiting for the year 2022-2023. Deadline to apply is July 4th, 2022 @ 11:59PM. Thank you for applying and good luck!

APPLY HERE: https://bit.ly/JoinSAHMPI

Responsibilities of roles:

Peer Tutors:

  *   Facilitate study sessions for students
  *   Answer student questions regarding course material
  *   Assist in the promotion of peer tutoring program
  *   How you will benefit:
  *   Time commitment: approximately 2 hours a week

Peer Mentors:

  *   Provide advice on a variety of topics to mentees
  *   Plan & promote activity sessions to facilitate mentee interaction
  *   Assist in the promotion of peer mentoring program
  *   How you will benefit: Become a recognized Peer Leader within YorkU, improve communication skills, gain valuable connections with students and staff
  *   Time commitment: approximately hours a week

Marketing Ambassadors:

  *   Work as part of the promotional team to create and edit posters, videos, podcasts and more
  *   Manage SAHMPI social media accounts
  *   How you will benefit: Become a recognized Peer Leader within YorkU, improve verbal and written communication skills, gain valuable connections with students and staff
  *   Time commitment: approximately 2 hours a week

Volunteer Ambassadors:

  *   Plan and organize SAHMPI events

  *   Facilitate SAHMPI events
  *   How you will benefit:
  *   Time Become a recognized Peer Leader within YorkU, improve organizational and time management skills, gain valuable connections with students and staff  commitment: approximately 2 hours a week

Club Ambassadors:

  *   Assist in the planning and facilitating of various events
  *   Act as a liaison between SAHMPI and the study body
  *   Act as a liaison between SAHMPI and the other student organizations
  *   How you will benefit: Become a recognized Peer Leader within YorkU, improve communication skills, gain valuable connections with students and staff
  *   Time commitment: approximately 2 hours a week

[cid:bf1b84d2-817b-47a7-9fb8-ae44d60671a2]

UPSA PEER MENTORING ACTIVITY SESSION: NETWORKING 101 WITH EMMA - Thursday, July 7th, 2022, from 1:00pm - 2:00pm EDT

Peer Mentoring

Feeling stressed and need someone to talk to? Peer mentoring is for you. You can set up a one-on-one meeting with a peer mentor by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Note that to access these services you must be assigned a mentor. First-year students are automatically matched, but any student can opt in by filling out the Assign Me A Mentor form.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_jpA-Sk68dfQbuC5FumI9eg_1ehqfnBra1SAPqZLenY/edit>

UPSA’s Activity Sessions are up and running for the summer term! All psychology students can attend Activity Sessions and, depending on your availability and interests, can attend any and all Activity Sessions!

Each Activity Session schedule will be posted on a weekly basis and can be found here and on our Instagram page! For more information and to check out the Activity Session calendar, please check your email if you are assigned a mentor or visit upsa.club.yorku.ca <https://sites.google.com/view/upsayorku> to subscribe to UPSA’s listserv if you haven’t already. You can also email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for further information or any questions you have about peer mentoring and activity sessions.

Activity Session:  Week of July 4-8

Emma Verrilli - Networking 101

July 7th, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT

Zoom link: Click here to access Emma’s Activity Session<https://yorku.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0ucOmurjgvEtUNjOPc42OUB0CeBYDJeURA>

[UPSA peer mentoring activity session for the week of July 4th, Peer Mentor Emma is hosting Networking 101 on July 7th at 1:00pm - 2:00pm. Click the link in the description to register for the session. Check the UPSA website for upcoming activity sessions.]

UPSA PEER TUTORING

The Undergraduate Psychology Student Association (UPSA<https://sites.google.com/view/upsayorku/home?authuser=0>) thrives for the success of students. As part of our mission for students' success, we provide one-on-one free tutoring sessions through Zoom for challenging psychology courses. Our tutors are students in an upper-year who have done well previously on the courses and have gone through tutor training. No appointment is necessary! You can drop in by clicking on the link provided containing the zoom details for each tutor and the schedule in plain text<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W1TmvvMamsqjaCx1eNOiOMiStRh7LXRA6wUxqwfXTuk/edit?usp=sharing>.   Please check the tutoring schedule<https://sites.google.com/view/upsayorku/peer-tutoring/tutoring-schedule> for the summer term. We have sessions on Mondays 12:00 PM  - 2:00 PM, Tuesdays 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM and Thursdays 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM.

JULY CREATIVE ARTS EDUCATION WORKSHOPS

Creative Arts workshops are an opportunity for community members to take a break, decompress and partake in self-care-oriented sessions. Each workshop is facilitated by an artist that will guide you through lessons and/or activities where you can explore, learn, and develop skills across various artistic mediums including poetry, visual arts, photography, technology, sewing, baking and more.

Workshop registration links for July:

Intro to Coding: Python, Jul 13th @4pm EDT: https://tinyurl.com/Code0713

Speed Painting, Jul 18th @5pm EDT: https://tinyurl.com/Paint0718

Creating Your Own Blog: WordPress, Jul 27th @5pm EDT: https://tinyurl.com/Blog0727

[Calumet and Stong Colleges Creative Arts Education Workshops in July 2022 includes Intro to Coding: Python happening on July 13th from 4:00pm - 5:00pm, Speed Painting happening on July 18th from 5:00pm - 6:00pm, and Create your own blog: Wordpress happening on July 27th from 5:00pm - 6:00pm. Registration links are available in the description.]

COVID-19 VACCINE AWARENESS – STAY SAFE!

Almost 90% of men and women in the 18-29 age group have received at least one dose, and over 86% of men and women are fully vaccinated.

Over one third of men and women are fully vaccinated and received 1 additional dose or booster, and only 0.20% are fully vaccinated and received a 2nd additional dose.

  *   Authorized vaccines can help protect you from COVID-19
  *   You should get a COVID-19 vaccine when it is available to you
  *   A booster dose can increase your level of protection against COVID-19 and can improve the overall immune response
  *   Do your part and be socially responsible
  *   Monitor your health and wellbeing daily
  *   Keep following COVID-19 safety protocols

[COVID-19 VACCINE AWARENESS – STAY SAFE!  Almost 90% of men and women in the 18-29 age group have received at least one dose, and over 86% of men and women are fully vaccinated.  Over one third of men and women are fully vaccinated and received 1 additional dose or booster, and only 0.20% are fully vaccinated and received a 2nd additional dose.  • Authorized vaccines can help protect you from COVID-19 • You should get a COVID-19 vaccine when it is available to you • A booster dose can increase your level of protection against COVID-19 and can improve the overall immune response • Do your part and be socially responsible • Monitor your health and wellbeing daily • Keep following COVID-19 safety protocols]

Visit Better Together<https://www.yorku.ca/bettertogether/> for the most current information and updates regarding York’s response to COVID-19.

FOUNDATIONAL PEER LEADERSHIP TRAINING (FPLT) – July 21, 26 & 27, 2022

Date: Thursday, July 21, 2022, Tuesday, July 26, 2022 & Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Time: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Registration Link: tinyurl.com/fpltjul2022<http://tinyurl.com/fpltjul2022>

Mode of Delivery: training is delivered virtually using Zoom (Synchronous)

Learn More: https://www.yorku.ca/colleges/ccsc/leadership-exploration-and-development/

About FPLT

This training offers current students and peer leaders a unique opportunity to learn and reflect on how to take on leadership responsibilities, what it means to be a leader in their community, and how to maintain a balance in their lives.

Students attending this training will explore the following topics:

  1.  You Matter - Leadership is not only about THEM (mentees), but also about YOU.  Learn about how to maintain your health and wellness so that you can maximize both your potential and the potential of those around you.
  2.  They Matter - Reflect on and discuss questions such as what does leadership mean to you? What are the characteristics and traits of a "good" leader? and how can we systematically and compassionately meet and address the needs of your mentees and other students?
  3.  Communication Matters - Have you ever been nervous when communicating with others? You are not the only one. Verbal and written communication with peers, professors, colleagues, and students, is an inherent part of being a peer leader. Learn about to use communication skills more effectively in both an in-person and virtual environment.
  4.

Eligibility

This training is mandatory for all peer leaders affiliated with Calumet and Stong Colleges (both paid and volunteer roles). If you are interested in a peer leadership position and/or want to develop your leadership skills, we invite you to register.

Program Requirements

To receive a certificate of participation, you will be required to meet the following 5 program requirements:

1. participate in the full training (participants are asked to arrive on time and stay until the training ends)
2. have access to a webcam, mic, and internet for remote portions of the training. You will be asked to keep your camera on and participate in the live small and large group discussions when training is offered remotely

3. complete all mandatory pre-instructional activities, prior to the scheduled training, (30-minute commitment prior to the training) using the eClass platform

4. complete all mandatory training activities throughout the training (60-minute commitment) using the eClass platform

5. complete all mandatory post-training activities (30-minute commitment after the training) using the eClass platform

Schedule

Mandatory Attendance (Synchronous via Zoom & eClass)

Day One - You Matter