BHS Archives

School Health Policy Management

BHS@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
School Health Policy Management <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:02:42 -0500
text/plain (7 kB) , text/html (8 kB) , image/jpeg (19 kB) , image/jpeg (19 kB) , image/jpeg (19 kB) , image/jpeg (19 kB) , image/gif (19 kB) , image/jpeg (19 kB) , image/jpeg (18 kB) , image/gif (18 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (4 kB) , image/jpeg (7 kB)
A Healthier Canada is not just the Responsibility
of Health Ministries

December 15, 2010 - A report released today by the Health Council of
Canada declares that unless governments change their approach to
addressing the needs of poorer and socially disadvantaged Canadians, we
are destined to continue to spend large amount of dollars on our health
care system. Governments must expand their approach to health promotion in
order to tackle the major societal factors that lead to poor health and to
take pressure off health care budgets.

The report Stepping It Up: Moving the Focus from Health Care in Canada to
a Healthier Canada indicates that health disparities play a significant
role in health system costs. It states that ongoing spending on acute care
and programs encouraging a healthy lifestyle is not enough to improve the
overall health of Canadians, particularly those who live in or close to
poverty.

"Good health is not simply a matter of diet and exercise," says John G.
Abbott, CEO of the Health Council of Canada. "These things matter, but
research shows that other factors such as our income, employment, home and
work environment, and social relationships have a stronger impact on our
health and well-being."

Read commentary from guest bloggers and other health industry leaders
about health promotion in Canada or download the full report on
www.healthcouncilcanada.ca.