CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Adele Torrance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:54:18 -0500
PAHO News -- November 28, 2002

In this issue:
-DEBORA DINIZ OF BRAZIL WINS THE 2002 MANUEL VELASCO-SUAREZ AWARD IN
BIOETHICS
-PAHO CENTENNIAL SYMPOSIUM: CELEBRATING PARTNERSHIPS - 100 YEARS OF
HEALTH IN THE AMERICAS
-PAHO CONFERENCE "NEW CHALLENGES IN VACCINES: FROM WEST NILE TO ANTHRAX"
-EXPENDITURE ISSUES AND GOVERNANCE IN CENTRAL AMERICA
-HEALTHY CHILDREN, GOAL 2002: SAVE 100,000 LIVES
-RABIES IN THE AMERICAS: A SERIES OF GRAPHS AND MAPS
-PAHO JOB OPPORTUNITY: REGIONAL ADVISOR ON MENTAL HEALTH POLICY AND
COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
-WHO JOB OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR, DIVISION OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR EUROPE
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

DEBORA DINIZ OF BRAZIL WINS THE 2002 MANUEL VELASCO-SUAREZ AWARD IN
BIOETHICS

The Pan American Health and Education Foundation, PAHO's US-based
non-profit partner, has awarded the first Manuel Velasco-Suarez Award on
Bioethics to Dr. Debora Diniz for her proposed research, "Genetic
Information and Justice: a bioethical challenge." Dr. Diniz is a
Brazilian anthropologist and professor of Bioethics at the University of
Rio de Janeiro.  The winning project will include 10 professionals from
various disciplines who will analyze the fields of disability, genetics
and social justice in healthcare. Dr. Diniz will publish a book based on
her research that will be complemented by a teacher-training project to
be developed by the Institute of Bioethics, Human Rights and Gender
(ANIS), Brazil.  For the full press release, visit:
http://www.paho.org/English/PAHEF/bioethicsenglish.htm.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

PAHO CENTENNIAL SYMPOSIUM: CELEBRATING PARTNERSHIPS - 100 YEARS OF
HEALTH IN THE AMERICAS

A Centennial Symposium, "Celebrating Partnerships: 100 Years of Health
in the Americas, " will be held Dec. 2-3 at the Pan American Health
Organization in Washington, DC. Ministers of health and representatives
from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, civil society
organizations, the United Nations, and the private sector are slated to
participate. PAHO Centennial Board Members and regional public health
heroes will also attend the symposium, which has as its goal the
strengthening of partnerships to confront new challenges to public
health in the Americas. For the full press release, visit:
http://www.paho.org/English/DEC/PartnershipSymposium.htm.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

PAHO CONFERENCE "NEW CHALLENGES IN VACCINES: FROM WEST NILE TO ANTHRAX"

Throughout the world, infectious diseases are the second cause of death
after cardiovascular disorders. Anthrax, the West Nile virus, and the
threat of smallpox are among new challenges that we will face this
century. Along with these future challenges, immunization, new vaccines,
and the contribution of vaccination campaigns to world public health are
some of the topics to be discussed at the "Conference on vaccines,
prevention and public health: a vision toward the future," taking place
this week at PAHO. For more information on the conference, visit:
http://www.paho.org/English/DPI/pr021125a.htm.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

EXPENDITURE ISSUES AND GOVERNANCE IN CENTRAL AMERICA

The Equidad listserve has distributed an article based on the paper
"Expenditure Issues and Governance in Central America."  The document
analyzes Central America's track record on inequality, poverty, and
quality of fiscal adjustment in relation to economic growth; health and
education outcomes; adequacy of social safety nets; and governance. It
then assesses the degree to which the track record can be traced to
reforms in public expenditure and governance.  The paper is available
at: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2002/wp02187.pdf.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

HEALTHY CHILDREN, GOAL 2002: SAVE 100,000 LIVES

Every year in the Americas, more than 200,000 children under five years
of age die from illnesses that can be easily prevented or treated. Acute
respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases and malnutrition are the
three leading causes of illness and death in this age group. The Pan
American Health Organization is working to reduce these deaths through
an initiative called Healthy Children: Goal 2002, based on the
Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses strategy.  To date, 17
countries have launched the Healthy Children initiative at local and
national levels to improve the health situation of children and mobilize
resources.  For more information, visit:
http://www.paho.org/English/DPI/100/100feature46.htm.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

RABIES IN THE AMERICAS: GRAPHS AND MAPS

Three graphs on rabies among dogs and humans in the Americas are
available on the PAHO website. The graphs show the effect of rabies
vaccination in Mexico, and two comparative maps from 1988 and 2001
illustrate the extent of disease reduction to date. The slides are
available in PowerPoint format at:
http://www.paho.org/English/HCP/HCV/ZNS/rabia-americas.ppt.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

PAHO JOB OPPORTUNITY: REGIONAL ADVISOR ON MENTAL HEALTH POLICY AND
COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES

PAHO is seeking a Regional Advisor on Mental Health Policy and Community
Mental Health Services to be stationed at PAHO headquarters in
Washington, DC.  Under the general supervision of the Director of the
Division of Health Promotion and Protection (HPP) and the direct
supervision of the Program Coordinator of the Mental Health Program
(HPM), the incumbent will serve in an advisory capacity for the
development of community mental health programs and the restructuring of
mental health services in the Region. The closing date is December 10,
2002.  For further information, visit:
http://pahoapl.paho.org/pahoexternalenglish/ASEPage_JobDetail.ASP.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

WHO JOB OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR, DIVISION OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR EUROPE

WHO is seeking a Director for its Division of Technical Support for the
Regional Office for Europe, based in Copenhagen, Denmark.  The director
will have the overall managerial responsibility for the final outcome,
as well as for the overall planning, monitoring and evaluation, of
WHO/EURO technical support and strategic development programs.  The
successful candidate will guide, coordinate, stimulate, facilitate and
supervise the work done by the units of the division.  The application
deadline is December 20, 2002.  For further details, visit:
http://www.who.int/per/vacancies/peu02_012e.htm.