CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
"Wile E." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:03:12 -0400
List members may be interested in the following new List, which provides an
opportunity to give the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) input
into its future direction.

                                      INVITATION TO THE
                               UNDP-FUTURE INTERNET LIST DISCUSSION
                                                 by
              Eimi Watanabe, Assistant Administrator and Director
                    Bureau for Development Policy, UNDP

PURPOSE OF THE UNDP-future LIST

The approaching new millennium is generating a host of new and novel
activities in many quarters. The United Nations is examining the possibility
of convening a Millennium Assembly and a Millennium Forum, which will be the
subject of intergovernmental deliberations later this year.

For its part, UNDP sees the approaching year 2000 as a rare opportunity to
focus on its past record, its current activities, and ideas for future
orientations, approaches and strategies. This is an undertaking which must
engage all involved in UNDP's work - including staff at all levels and at
all locations, the broad range of development partners
with whom we conduct our regular activities, as well as the governments, the
private sector and civil society which are the intended beneficiaries of our
projects and programmes. Using the new information and communications
technologies, we seek to reach out to many of this constituency and to
solicit a wide range of views in an open, participatory manner.

We at UNDP therefore invite you to participate in this novel global
brainstorming process, which we will also conduct internally. We are also
eager to receive contributions from those as yet without Internet access. We
hope you will share your views, experiences and suggestions regarding:

* what UNDP has done and is doing well, including concrete examples of good
practices
* where improvements can be made, including concrete examples of efforts
that failed to achieve their goals
* the future of development cooperation, and what UNDP's role and
orientation should be as we enter the new millennium
* what concrete steps can UNDP take to effectively use new electronic
information and communications technologies to support sustainable
development

We assure you that your views will be greatly valued as UNDP prepares its
own contribution to the upcoming special events being conducted in 1999, and
will constitute important, concrete input into UNDP's deliberations shaping
its vision and strategy. We thank you in advance for your participation in
this project.

HOW TO JOIN THE UNDP-future LIST

Anyone who has electronic mail with Internet access can subscribe to the
UNDP-future List. To join please send an e-mail to the LISTSERV host:

Do *not* enter a subject.  In the body of the message, type the text:

   SUBSCRIBE UNDP-future

Do *not* put anything after UNDP-future.  You will receive a Welcome Letter
to the List.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EMAIL

National NGOs with networks to grassroots offices, with or without email,
are encouraged to solicit the views and comments of those offices. Those
without email can also contribute comments directly via fax to the UNDP
contact, Hans d'Orville, at the number provided below.

WORLD WIDE WEB SITES FOR THE LIST

The Global Knowledge for Development Web site
<http://www.globalknowledge.org> provides information about the UNDP-future
List, as well as archives of UNDP-future messages. UNDP's Web site
<http://www.undp.org> also contains materials related to the issues
discussed by the UNDP-future list.

LIST ADMINISTRATOR

This List is administered and moderated by Education Development Center, a
nonprofit organization.  EDC is working collaboratively with the UN system
and is directly supported by UNDP for the activities in this project. The
UNDP Contact Person for this project is Hans d'Orville <[log in to unmask]>,
who can also be reached in the US by fax at (212) 906-5023 or, via
conventional mail, at UNDP Room 2092, One UN Plaza, New York, NY 10017 USA.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information about UNDP-future, please contact:

Janice Brodman
EDC