From:
Eberhard Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 00:35:22 +1000
Dear colleagues,

as promised, this is my response to Kate Lawrence's e-mail.

Eberhard

******************************

From:          Self <Single-user mode>
To:            [log in to unmask]
Subject:       Re: who letter
Date:          Sat, 2 Aug 1997 15:56:01 +1000

On  1 Aug 97 at 11:35, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>      I recently saw a letter distributed by you to the health promotion group
>      expressing concern about the pharmaceutical industry involvement in the WHO
>      WHO conference. I felt I must make some respone.

Kate, I have nothing against the pharmaceutical industry being involved in WHO
programs or conferences as long as these programs and conferences deal with
drug issues in general or with drug issues in the context of preventive
medicine.

A HEALTH promotion conference is quite a different cup of tea and I do not see
any need to get any commercial enterprise involved when it comes to discussing
concepts and strategies of HEALTH promotion (not disease prevention!).

It's as simple as that - and what happened in Jakarta is, as far as I'm
concerned, a very unfortunate development having WHO linked with multinational
corporations like Coca-Cola and others. This is an international governmental
body and not an advertisement or endorsement agency.

Thanks for your feedback and have a nice day up there in Basel. Beautiful city,
particularly during *Basler Fasnet*.

Take care.

******************************

Eberhard Wenzel MA PhD
Griffith University
Australian School of Environmental Studies
Nathan, Qld. 4111
Australia
Tel.: 61-7-3875 7103
Fax:  61-7-3875 7459
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/eberhard/welcome.htm

One must be serious about something,
if one wants to have any amusement in life.
Oscar Wilde