From:
Karyn Pomerantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:49:55 -0400
The questions about information reliability on the net and in print are
very critical issues.

There is a real need to teach the public mini-research design/critical
analysis skills.  I have a very basic slide show in PowerPoint on
interpreting studies, "Behind the Health Headlines."  It's on my home
page at:  http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~kpomeran

I would be very interested in feedback since I'm revising it.

However, there are bigger questions such as authorship and sponsorship.
Lisa Bero and colleagues at UCSF have written several articles in JAMA
and NEJM describing tactics the tobacco and drug industries use to insert
their symposia into the medical literature... which then is picked up by
MEDLINE and its users.

Another good reading on who controls the media is the March (I think)
1996 issue of The Nation which contains a wonderful chart of the 4 major
companies who control news and entertainment.

Librarians will be key in teaching critical analysis skills as will any
health communicator/educator and activists.  What to critically evaluate
and how is a great topic for discussion.

P.S.  Purdue Univ Libraries have a web document called "Evaluating World
Wide Web Information" at:  http://thorplus.lib.purdue.edu/

Karyn L. Pomerantz
Himmelfarb Library, GWUMC
2300 I St., NW