Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:33:47 -0400
Spotlight on Urban Health Seminar Series

Filling their Bellies:
Community Initiatives to Feed the Homeless

Valerie Tarasuk, (PhD)
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of
Toronto

SUMMARY

While the origins of homelessness in Canada arguably lie in macro-level
changes in social and economic conditions, the problem itself resides in
communities, and it has become their job to figure out how to respond.  We
undertook a broad-based study of community responses to the food needs of
homeless people in Toronto to describe local efforts and elucidate the
assumptions and constraints that shape this work.  Our research included an
inventory of programs providing meals or snacks to homeless people,
structured telephone interviews with program staff, in-depth study of a
purposive sample of 18 programs, and key informant interviews with program
funders and suppliers.  Our results draw into question the appropriateness
and effectiveness of local food provisioning efforts. The mobilization of
community resources that underpins these programs is consistent with federal
policy directions on homelessness, but our data suggest that structural
limitations make it impossible for such initiatives to meet the food and
nutrition needs of homeless people.

BIO

Valerie Tarasuk is a Professor in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at
the University of Toronto.  Much of her research has focused on problems of
domestic food insecurity, considering their origins and nutrition
implications and examining current policy and program responses. Current
research initiatives include a study of the relationship between housing,
neighbourhood characteristics and food access among low-income families and
an analysis of national survey data to examine nutrition disparities in
Canada.

University of Toronto, University College (15 King's College Circle) Rm 256
- 2nd Flr, East Wing
May 2, 2007
1:10- 2:10 PM
Free, all are welcome, please RSVP to [log in to unmask]

Upcoming Seminars/ Workshops:

May 10th: "The Role of Neighbourhoods in the Development of Social and
Health Policy" Workshop
Panel: Jim Dunn (Centre for Research on Inner City Health); Russell Mawby
(Housing, City of Ottawa);
Maureen Fair (St. Christopher's House) & Armine Yalnizyan (Toronto Social
Planning Council)

Please see our website for upcoming seminar summaries and other events:
www.cuhi.utoronto.ca