Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:01:54 -0700
Just a few comments on the latest round of discussions. Mr. Dovell's
noticing of new Toronto tobacco public opinion polls reminds us to look
for the real story behind the headlines. This poll that shows no support
for smoke-free restaurants and bars was commissioned by the Restaurant
Association, methodology of which is not available to the public. In
stark contrast, the GTA and Hamilton research, conducted by York's
institure for Social Research and commissioned by Health Departments,
was available to all. Another example of underhanded tactics by those
opposing bylaws/legislation with no real basis. You'd think the health
argument would be enough.

As to Dennis' scolding of our health department for not endorsing the
recent newspaper ad, I assure you it was very complicated and
heart-wrenching for all those involved. We report to a Regional Health
and Social Services committee, the Head of which was not available to
yea or nay the endorsement when we needed to send it in. To make matters
more difficult, on the health and Social Services Committee is Sheila
Copp's mother. Endorsing an ad that directly targets your daughter was
concerning for us - she was also unavailable for comment.

The point is, that although our Region may have agreed to endorse the
ad, there was no time to make sure that it was the proper thing to do
POLITICALLY. Yes, this is frustrating, but necessary when you work
within such a structure. Again another example of looking beneath the
headlines.

The good news is that our Council on Smoking and Health endorsed the ad.
We are part of this Council.

Although I know sometimes it is difficult, Advocacy efforts seem to work
best when time is on our side. I would be interested to have other
comments about advocacy, politics, policy, and time sensitivity.

Regards,

Alan McFarlane
Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Public Health Department