From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:36:49 -0400
>The Scientist,    Volume 11 1997
>
>Homelessness Should Be Treated As A Major Health Issue
>
>by William R. Breakey                   November 10, 1997
>
>It is incongruous that in an era of great economic strength, with
>low unemployment, low inflation, a booming stock market, and high
>consumer optimism, a walk down the streets of any of our
>metropolises will reveal homeless people who are bedraggled, poor,
>and in many cases disabled by illness. It is all the more perturbing
>when one considers that these visibly destitute individuals, the
>sight of whom often offends the sensibilities of passersby, represent
>the mere tip of an iceberg of poverty and dislocation, most of which
>is invisible to the casual observer: Many homeless people are able to
>maintain a relatively normal appearance while living on the streets
>and are not particularly noticeable. In addition to street people,
>many other homeless people live in temporary or emergency shelters or
>seedy motels, and large numbers live in substandard housing or
>shanties. Yet others move in with relatives or friends because they
>cannot find, or afford, a place of their own.
>
>Estimating the numbers of homeless people is notoriously difficult,
>but clearly the scale of the problem is much greater in America than
>many people realize. A recent estimate by Bruce Link and colleagues
>at Columbia University, using a sophisticated sampling procedure,
>suggests that as many as 7 percent of Americans (13.5 million people)
>may have experienced homelessness at some time in their lives.
>
>As fall progresses toward winter, there inevitably will be a
>resurgence of public sympathy for homeless people. However,
>temperature extremes are by no means the worst aspect of being
>homeless. It is the lack of shelter, the loss of privacy, the
>exposure to infectious disease, the risk of intimidation and
>physical attack, the impermanence, and the social isolation that are
>its most injurious aspects. Journalists, activists, and advocates
>have vividly portrayed the plight of homeless people and the
>miserable conditions in which they live in America, but still not
>much happens, in terms of major public policy initiatives, to
>rectify the situation. That hundreds of thousands of people are
>homeless is a major indictment of our current political economy. It
>is also a major health issue.
>
>The relationship between homelessness and disease has been clearly
>demonstrated. Exposure to inclement weather, limited opportunity for
>maintaining personal hygiene, poor nutrition, exposure to street
>violence, sleep deprivation, heavy tobacco use, and exposure to
>alcohol and other drugs all pose health hazards, as do the
>overcrowded conditions of many shelters, with increased risk of
>exposure to parasitic or infectious diseases. Limited access to
>medical, psychiatric, dental, and podiatric care means that
>conditions that would in normal circumstances be easily resolved may
> [...]
Visit our Web Site!

http://www.utoronto.ca/qol

   Canalising a river
   Grafting a fruit tree
   Educating a person
   Transforming a state
   These are instances of fruitful criticism
   And at the same time instances of art.
       -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101