From:
Judy Quail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:21:16 -0700
I appreciate the ongoing commentary about the dimensions of this virtual
discussion group.  It seems to take on more substance as people ebb and flow
with their comments, or lurk (in the shadows) or come forward (onto the
computer screen), or speak from different realms - acedemic, provider and
partaker.

I would like to comment on something I've been thinking about lately having
to do with consumer health information.  One of the things that is happening
with so many people gradually gaining access to the internet is that the
health care provider will not be in control of the information partakers
receive. What is the process of becoming informed?  It seems like there
might be external and internal or psychological aspects to this experience.
What assistance do people need to help them to access information, to
understand it and to begin to make some judgements about it, and then to use
it?  What needs to be in place to assist people to find their way through
the tremendous amount of information out there.  It is almost like people
will need mini- research skills, because they are going to be learning about
information itself, not only the subject matter. I'd like to do some more
reading on this so if anyone can suggest any articles, research studies
whatever I'd appreciate hearing from you.

I'm learning alot from this discussion group, not only the content but also
how it unfolds so thankyou.

Sincerely,  Judi Quail  <[log in to unmask]>