From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 17:03:00 EDT
It must be the summer doldrums for computers - I'm reposting [for the second
time as the first attempt disappeared] a message from JM Dupont in reply to
the message from Peter Murray [that he said he was resending,  I think that
JM has been experiencing problems with e-mail address changes being
recognized by the list-serv computer.  Hint:  if your e-mail address changes
due to your ISP changing it's domain name (as in Web Networks changing from
<web.apc.org> to <web.net>) or other moves and changes, please unsubscribe
from CLICK4HP, OR contact one of the list facilitators and request a
deletion,  and then resubscribe with your new address (once it is configured
in your system).
 - Alison Stirling ([log in to unmask])

 ----------
RE  'Multimedia' in health promotion
asking if anyone was working in this area, I offer the following brief info:

As a consultant in the area of community health / health promotion, I am
currently doing some fact finding on Internet sites in order to recommend to
a current client how best
to mount a WWW site.  The idea behind this is to offer a site to help
support  people working towards making their community(ies) a better
place(s) to live.
 Without  getting into the details,  Those of you familiar with the Healthy
Cities/Communities approach to community development may have an idea what
I'm getting  at.  Those who are interested in knowing more [about the
developing Canadian HC/C network], feel free to contact me anytime.

Peter Murray may be interested in knowing that we are looking at using the
WWW site model, but are attempting to take it beyond a traditional
descriptive nature to
something more of a self-directed learning resource with built-in tutorials
and so on.  This, I notice is being done more and more.   [For example, look
at the U.S. based Coalition for Healthy Cities and Communities web-site:
 http://healthycities.org/  ]

This raises interesting opportunities for those looking at building-in
outcome measures using this media.  Without getting too detailed here,
imagine how easy it would be to measure information dissemination via
tutorials managed by the user.  Asking for users to post activities stemming
from the information they got (knowledge they gained) from the site, thus
making it interactive, holds much promise for built-in evaluations.

Fluid (for lack of another word) self-directed sites, combining the sharing
of ideas through discussions, the posting of stories and experiences with
tutorials, and other
resources offers much promise in how some health promotion is facilitated
through computer-mediated communication.

This does not address the barriers and user issues of course.  We thought we
had problems when we realized how a quarter if not more of the population
cannot read! Funny how those health education campaigns and pamphlets didn't
reach the intended targets at times eh? Now we are faced with similar issues
I'm afraid.

People interested in increasing their knowledge and use of the World Wide
Web [Internet] may be interested in the announcement about "Make the Link
Workshop"  eight week on-line training session offered by T. Copley.  Brief
information is included below the signature file.

 I don't know what use these thoughts are, but if Peter Murray wishes to
contact me to discuss the issue of Internet sites and HP in greater detail,
feel free to do so at the numbers listed below.  Good luck with your
research Peter.

Looking forward to hearing more on this from those of you with much greater
experience than I.  Oh, and thank you to Alison, Liz and Sam for keeping
this listserv going.

JM

Jean-Marc Dupont,  Principle Consultant - Community Systems Associates
National Contact - Healthy Cities/Communities Canada (HCC Canada)
Co-facilitator - act.kids.ca (Web Networks Newsgroup)
Tel + 819 684 8318  Fax + 819 684 7942
Email: [log in to unmask]    http://www.web.net/~comsys [under renovation]
****************************
MAKE THE LINK WORKSHOP (WORLD WIDE WEB FOR EVERYONE)

The Make the Link Workshop (World Wide Web for Everyone) is an eight
week long distance learning workshop conducted entirely by e-mail. It
introduces the beginner to the World Wide Web (WWW), the Internet's
distributed hypermedia information system, and enhances the skills of
the somewhat more experienced user as well.

Session XII........ August 19 - October 13

The cost of the Workshop is $20 US.

Sign up for ONE session only unless you plan to take the Workshop more
than once.  To sign up for one of the Make the Link Workshop sessions,
please send an e-mail message to the address:

and in the body of the message, include:

     subscribe links12

to subscribe to Session XII.

This will automatically put you on the mailing list for more information
about the Workshop, and you will receive an acknowledgment with the
particulars about signing up, and unsubscribing, should you decide not
to participate.

If you have any difficulty with this procedure or fail to receive a
response, please send e-mail to this address: