From:
"Vini K.Dhillon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:30:07 -0500
"Get real" indeed!!!

I have read the numerous responses back and forth in reply to the comments
made by Dennis, and I cannot believe how conservative and ultra-sensitive
people can be to some eye opening, matter-of-fact remarks!!!

How were the comments "ridiculing"? (I have read the reply from Dennis
numerous times and I cannot see the "ridicule" nor the "rudeness" in it. I
think it is very healthy to question ourselves and others (especially on this
listserv!!) and start thinking OUTSIDE of the box that many of us have become
so accustomed to feeling comfortable/protected in (ie. the "lifestyle" track)

Yes, Annamaria, you are absolutely right when you say, "...it is a public and
valuable forum for an open exchange of ideas."  Why then, is everyone so riled
up about someone openly exchanging their ideas??
When we don't like what we hear, we tell people to "keep silent/keep those
comments to yourself" (as Karen Andres suggested in an earlier response)  ????
I am sorry, but I don't follow!?!

I know that many of our valued health public health/health promotion
colleagues are well concerned with areas such as promoting proper
diet/nutrition and getting lots of exercise. Does that include EXERCISING our
minds too??

I think it is quite sad that some of us cannot tolerate a little challenge and
thought provoking now and then. Oh how dull life must be!

Have an insightful day!

Vini K. Dhillon