SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Anne Marie Liebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:33:50 -0500
Hello SDOH friends,

Pleased to share that our hybrid course “Equitable Patient Education
<https://healthcommunicationpartners.com/foundations-equitable-pt-ed/>” is
available now. Happy to answer any questions,
Anne Marie

*Equitable Patient Education
<https://healthcommunicationpartners.com/foundations-equitable-pt-ed/>*
This course helps organizations improve patient education processes with
diverse patient populations.
Based in critical, culturally-relevant and culturally-sustaining
pedagogies, the course looks critically at the patient education process
and reveals *barriers to equity within informal institutional policies, and
in assumptions beneath common pedagogical practices and patient education
materials*. Learners are shown how to manage these potential obstacles.

Some learner feedback:
“Educators could really benefit from this. Quality improvement folks, too.
Anyone trying to change policy or develop infrastructure."

“It has allowed me to reflect on my style of providing education to my
patients by not just educating, but also allowing them to provide input
during interaction with them. I will definitely have these in mind when
educating my patients. Thank you”

“This course helped me look at myself as an educator and helped me to 'step
back' and analyze how I can be a better nurse.”

“The deficit perspective was a really interesting and thought-provoking
topic. I was never aware of having this perception (at times) when
educating patients.”

This hybrid course utilizes reflective practice and pedagogical approaches
developed at the University of Pennsylvania. This 2-hour course promotes
collaboration and is designed for groups of 10 or more. The cost of $95 per
participant includes both the live and on-demand sessions. More information
here <https://healthcommunicationpartners.com/foundations-equitable-pt-ed/>
.

--
Anne Marie Liebel, Ed.D.