SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
David Zitner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2024 03:59:59 +0000
It's clear that some people are delighted to have had gender modifying treatments, many others show regret.

Normally in health care informed consent requires information about Numbers needed to benefit and numbers needed to harm. For gender treatments the information is not available.  Current Concerns About Gender-Affirming Therapy in Adolescents | Current Sexual Health Reports (springer.com)<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11930-023-00358-x> AND Full article: Iatrogenic Harm in Gender Medicine (tandfonline.com)<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0092623X.2023.2224320>

Nor can parents find information about the characteristics and proportion of people who suffer from harms related to treatments-the link is to non-contentious lists of adverse effects of gender affirming care (What to Know About Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy (alto.com)<https://www.alto.com/blog/post/transgender-hormone-therapy-side-effects> )

Adults consenting for minors are not able to obtain pertinent information about the people most likely to express delight, or disappointment following medical and surgical gender treatment.

The links, Dr. Raven's comment, and the Baxendale articles,  suggest the need for systematic research and data collection because, for now, there is insufficient information to support informed consent.

Adults should be free to consent to treatments where the chances of risk and harm are not well established.

It's different in my opinion, when someone consents on behalf of a minor.  At the least all those providing aggressive medical and surgical treatments should encourage, possibly insist, that the patients enroll in systematic long term follow up so that eventually clinicians can provide patients with the information necessary for informed consent.

Link:
Full article: Iatrogenic Harm in Gender Medicine (tandfonline.com)<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0092623X.2023.2224320>
Current Concerns About Gender-Affirming Therapy in Adolescents | Current Sexual Health Reports (springer.com)<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11930-023-00358-x>
"The question, “Do the benefits of youth gender transitions outweigh the risks of harm?” remains unanswered because of a paucity of follow-up data.

Because the future well-being of young patients and their families is at stake, the field must stop relying on social justice arguments and return to the time-honored principles of evidence-based medicine."