SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Rahim Thawer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2023 14:14:42 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ---------

Written by Rahim Thawer, MSW
[image: Rahim Thawer]
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]>
Rahim Thawer
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]>
  ∙
11 min read
  ∙
View on Medium
<https://medium.com/p/b9e2cb1e1886?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
Supporting family members when queer & trans Muslims come out

Written by Rahim Thawer,
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-msRgZtLcbA?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
MSW
[image: Stock image from Canva]
[image: Stock image from Canva]
Stock image from Canva

About 5 years ago, I co-created a webinar series with my queer Muslim pals
from the USA: Fayzan, Shahnaz, and Saadia. We created interactive sessions
for a North American audience to respond to common questions we’ve received
as queer and trans Muslims. Those sessions went well but the intervention
was limited by time and our volunteer capacity so they didn’t continue
annually as we had hoped. We also spoke from experience and had not
documented our responses.

I recently revisited the questions and decided to write out responses that
could be used in a support group manual called *Crescent Moon: A
Facilitator’s Guide to Supporting Family Members of LGBTQ+ Muslims*.
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-6O6TyogYrr?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
In this article, I’ve shared seven common questions from the pool we
received many years ago and I’ve articulated my responses below. These have
been written for family members of LGBTQ+ Muslims but they are widely
applicable to others.

The main purpose of this article is to alleviate the burden of education
that falls on so many LGBTQ+ people — it’s nothing short of exhausting and
the role of a spokesperson can set back our own psychological development.
There’s a beautiful life waiting for us on the other side of the rainbow
and it’s not fair for us to be hindered by other people’s questions. So,
here goes.

*What causes someone to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or trans; is it biology
or their environment (i.e. nature or nurture)?*

It’s not uncommon for people to have a range of assumptions about the
LGBTQ+ community. For instance, you might assume that people *become* gay,
lesbian, bisexual or transgender as a result of some adverse life
experience. If that’s your starting place, you will then try to create a
story that helps explain why your loved one is LGBTQ+. For example, you
might think:

   - They’ve been a victim of Western culture and influences
   - They’ve been brainwashed by their peers and they are *making a choice*
   - They have been coerced in some way or targeted with evil eye/jinn
   - They’ve experienced some kind of sexual abuse which has led to
   confusion about their gender or sexuality
   - They had an absent parent or poor role modelling from a particular
   gender
   - They have not tried hard enough to be straight or cisgender

*My Responses*

It’s unhelpful to suggest that someone has chosen to be LGBTQ+. While many
LGBTQ+ people will have joyful and fulfilling lives, when they first begin
to explore their identities, it’s usually quite scary and isolating. LGBTQ+
people often know they are different from a young age and have spent a lot
of time trying to make sense of who they are in the world. In addition,
LGBTQ+ people who do not fit into neat gender boxes are also the targets of
bullying. Therefore, it’s offensive (and not sensible) to think that
someone has chosen to be marginalized or chosen a path that could lead to
potential rejection and abandonment from their family members.

You might still wonder if social context can influence a person’s sexuality
or gender. The answer is yes. But, what is being influenced is their
experience of opportunities to safely express who they are. Social context
cannot “turn” someone queer or trans. That means there were likely lots of
LGBTQ+ people in your life as a child and adult but you may not have known
because the social context didn’t make it safe enough for them to express
it.

People sometimes get curious about the biological origins of being LGBTQ+.
They’ll consider the possibilities of hormone imbalance and genetic
testing. It’s important to be critical when engaging with these theories.
The entire framing of this “scientific question” has a baseline assumption
that being heterosexual and cisgender are normal and all other expressions
of gender and sexuality are deviant. In truth, being heterosexual and
cisgender is not *more *normal than being LGBTQ+; they are simply more
common and more visible. Further, we don’t need to understand the biology
of LGBTQ+ orientations any more than we need to study the biology of
heterosexuality; these are simply social and biological occurrences in the
population.
[image: Stock image from Canva.]
[image: Stock image from Canva.]
Stock image from Canva.

*Can someone try (or pray) to be straight or cisgender? Can therapy help
change someone?*

Most LGBTQ+ people have gone through an initial period of curiosity,
conflict and inquiry before being ready to share their identity with others
more openly. During this period, they will have already considered trying
to fit into the larger majority and concluded that this is not possible for
them.

Trying to change a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity is
extremely harmful. All major psychological associations internationally
have denounced the practice of reparative therapy. It’s widely recognized
that such change efforts have detrimental consequences for a person’s
mental health.

In Muslim communities, people will sometimes frame “tendencies” and “urges”
toward same-gender attraction as a test from Allah. This is not helpful to
the LGBTQ+ person because you are telling them that they are failing their
own Creator. Instead, we should reframe this concept to suggest that Allah
is testing the strength of a family to unconditionally love and accept
their LGBTQ+ loved one.

In Muslim communities, people will sometimes also consider (or threaten)
sending their loved one back home. There’s an assumption here that the
cause of your loved one’s identity is the influence of Western culture and
that exposure to another culture will “cure” them. This assumption is
entirely faulty: there are LGBTQ+ people everywhere.

*Did this happen because we failed as parents? Are we being punished for
shortcomings/sins?*

Parenting style has no bearing on someone’s sexual orientation or gender
identity. However, a supportive environment for self-expression will help a
child develop healthy self-esteem and the confidence needed to face
challenges in the world.

The conversation on “bad parenting” can be frustrating because it takes
away from the story about the LGBTQ+ person’s experience and shifts the
focus to the grieving parents.

When people frame having an LGBTQ+ family member as a punishment from God,
we must stop to think about how that makes our loved ones feel.

For those who believe in the concept of punishment from God for something
(e.g. lying, cheating, lack of piety, not paying zakat, or not fasting),
it’s more helpful to think about the consequence in your own life instead
of vicarious punishment through a family member. Your family members don’t
exist simply as rewards or punishments for your life choices — they are
their own person with their own complexities.

*Why would someone change who they are if they were born a man/woman?*

Firstly, we must reflect on how each of us was taught about being a man or
a woman in our specific families and communities. When was it *not* helpful
to be given gender-specific rules? For example, social rules that determine
whether or not you can show emotion or rules that suggest what your role in
a marriage or partnership should be. Strict ideas about how to be a man or
how to be a woman are limiting for many people and need to be
deconstructed. Even if you didn’t find gender-specific roles to be
limiting, we must recognize that they don’t work for some people and
imposing limits can be outright harmful.

Across the globe and across cultures, there are people who understand
themselves beyond the simplicity of a two-gender model. They are not ill;
rather, they are enlightened. They may be of both masculine and feminine
expressions; they may be part of a third gender; they may desire to move
around in the world in a gender different than what they were assigned at
birth. These human experiences of transcendence challenge those of us who
have never questioned our own gender identity. People who identify with the
gender they were assigned at birth (like most of us in this room), are not
“more normal” but rather, we are simply more common.

*This interactive map shows the number of cultures where more than two
genders are found:*
https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/content/two-spirits_map-html/
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-IPxWIIiKId?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>

Some transgender people will want to pursue medical transition procedures
while others will not. The common conservative argument used against T/GNC
people is that “God has created everything as it is” and “God does not make
mistakes.” However, the world we live in is more complex than this. And,
Muslims everywhere avail themselves of medical procedures in order to
better their health and prolong their lives. This is also true for trans
and gender non-conforming people. In fact, surgical transition procedures
are almost always deemed medically necessary for the well-being of
transgender people.

Further, many Islamic scholars argue that the Quranic verses pertaining to
“changing the creation of Allah” or “wrongly interfering in God’s creation”
do not refer to the body or to gender-affirming surgery, but refer to
“changing religion, namely Islam, and God’s commands.”

Islam has always taken sides with the oppressed rather than with the
oppressor since the day of its establishment, and this MUST include taking
a stand against transphobia. In order to understand the trans experience,
we must listen to the voices of trans Muslims. Here are some resources that
can allow us to gain a better understanding:

*Gender Spectrum. (2018). **“Being Transgender and Muslim” with Mahdia
Lynn, founder of Masjid al-Rabia Mosque*
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-v7G2oHU06u?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*
[YouTube Video].*

*‌Jagiella, L. (2021). **Among the eunuchs: A Muslim transgender journey*
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-L9eaQtJAY1?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*
[Memoir]. Hurst & Company.*

*Life, V. (2022). **The School Helping Trans Muslims in Indonesia*
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-j1J1g0ajTo?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*
| Transnational [YouTube Video].*

*‌TEDx Talks. (2021). **A Divine Departure: A Journey of A Moslem Transman*
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-RDHjkpRWsI?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*
| Amar Alfikar | TEDxJakartaWomen [YouTube Video].*

*TEDx Talks. (2015). **Brown, trans, queer, Muslim and proud *
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-3q5Zb4_zBP?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*|
Sabah Choudrey | TEDxBrixton [YouTube Video].*

*‌Zaharin, A. A. M., & Pallotta-Chiarolli, M. (2020). **Countering Islamic
conservatism on being transgender: Clarifying Tantawi’s and Khomeini’s
fatwas from the progressive Muslim standpoint*
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-wr35soRlA4?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>*.
International Journal of Transgender Health, 21(3), 235–241.*
[image: Stock image from Canva]
[image: Stock image from Canva]
Stock image from Canva

*We accept our loved one but why do they need to tell everyone?*

Having other people in your cultural and religious community know that
someone in your family openly identifies as LGBTQ+ can be stressful. You
might be concerned about how they will treat you and your loved ones. You
may have a strong desire to control who knows what information about your
family. Unfortunately, this will likely cause tension and conflict in your
family.

LGBTQ+ people usually experience deep shame earlier in their journeys for
being different and for feeling like they’ve let their families down. By
the time they have “come out” to you, they’ve overcome a significant amount
of shame and it feels appropriate to want to celebrate that by specifically
not hiding who they are.

Events like Pride can seem like unnecessary broadcasting of one’s personal
life. However, these events are actually unique opportunities for LGBTQ+
people to be around others like them and feel good about themselves.
Straight and cisgender people get to experience being in their own
communities almost daily and so they might have a harder time appreciating
the need for events that celebrate minority identities.

Remember that heterosexuality is on display and celebrated everywhere:
affection shown by couples, the emphasis and money spent on weddings, the
welcoming of new children to the family; being LGBTQ+ can mean re-imagining
what our lives will look like.

Finally, sharing who we are openly is important for other LGBTQ+ people.
When they see visible LGBTQ+ people, it makes them feel good about
themselves and reduces their isolation.

Many LGBTQ+ Muslims emphasize that they are both LGBTQ+ and Muslim. This is
sometimes met with resistance from dominant Muslim communities. It’s
important to recognize that all Muslims have a right to practice Islam in a
way that upholds their own dignity.
[image: Stock image from Canva]
[image: Stock image from Canva]
Stock image from Canva

*This is a Western thing. Why did we not know any LGBTQ+ people back home?*

It’s important to recognize that even if your own experience in your
country of origin didn’t include LGBTQ+ people, that doesn’t mean they
didn’t exist. Rather, it means that visibility was low due to a lack of
safety. Or, it means that you didn’t have opportunities to meet people that
were unlike yourself.

Here is a list of LGBTQ+ organizations
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-Rfk6rUnW8g?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
across the world, including in Muslim-majority countries.

If your country of origin still isn’t a safe place for LGBTQ+ people today,
it is very possible that your loved one may not have “come out” if you were
living there now. However, that doesn’t mean they would not have been who
they are, rather it would have been harder to be who they are.

You may also find this historical account of *Homosexuality in the Islamic
World* particularly illuminating —

https://medium.com/media/b12b6edc00cc85aa76c074c2d2d1ca77/href
<https://medium.com/media/b12b6edc00cc85aa76c074c2d2d1ca77/href?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>

*What do Islam and the Qur’an say about being LGBTQ+? Or, other religious
theology for that matter?*

Many LGBTQ+ Muslims and their families turn to theological texts and
teachings to examine where their experiences and identities are celebrated.

Often, the Story of Prophet Lut is used as religious justification to
condemn LGBTQ+ Muslims. Thankfully, lots of prominent Muslim theologians
and Imams have disproved the Story of Lut being about homosexuality.

A closer reading of the verses reveals that the Story of Prophet Lut is
about a community of people being inhospitable and participating in the
sexual abuse and rape of strangers.

LGBTQ+ Muslims, like everyone else, seek intimacy and consensual, loving
relationships. They should be able to do so without their deen questioned
and offered the love and support of their family and friends.

I have personally felt moved by The Radical
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-u13CRVBA-Q?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>,
a documentary about a gay Imam in South Africa. If you are of Christian
faith, please watch For The Bible Tells Me So
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-xvOorqk2ys?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>.
If you are of Jewish faith, please watch Trembling Before G*d
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-uVdCWgcdDO?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>.
Documentary films feature brave characters who tell their stories because
not all of us can.

*Where to go from here?*

We’ve covered some basic ground. While you may still have many questions,
my hope is that your curiosity will run deeper than some of the questions
listed above. Further, my hope is that you will continue to ask questions
in the spirit of understanding your loved one and not for the purpose of
contradicting their lived experiences of being queer/trans and Muslim.
[image: Stock image from Canva]
[image: Stock image from Canva]
Stock image from Canva
Resources

The list below has been drawn from
https://www.salaamcanada.info/publications
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-NofBrIYvcS?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
Community Publications

   - I’m Muslim and I Might Not Be Straight:
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-wWGdVeVf8X?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   A Resource for LGBTQ+ Muslim Youth- Advocates for Youth
   - I’m Muslim and My Gender Doesn’t Fit Me: A Resource for Trans Muslim
   Youth
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-ixIOna7zPM?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Advocates for Youth
   - How to be Culturally Competent When Supporting LGBTQ Muslims
   <[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]>
   — Rahim Thawer
   - Safe Spaces, Inclusive Services: Support Service Access and Engagement
   by LGBTIQ+ Muslims
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-8p1nwHIIxA?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>-
   Melbourne Muslim Collective

Salaam Canada Publications

   - Community Discussion Guide: For Support Group Facilitators
   [Download Here
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-0v1ECjv_xK?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   ]
   - Do ask, Do Tell? Coming In, Out, & Around as LGBTQ+ Muslims
   Print
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-6QICgjOUVd?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   | Read |
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-AjUHGAR_FM?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   Post
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-F9T3WkixMU?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   - More Than Just Feeling Alone: Understanding LGBTQ+ Muslim Mental Health
   Print
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-rmKXFJGM8G?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   | Read |
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-3vvzd_OHKg?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   Post
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-Qnn1GEhEWj?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   - It’s Not A Phase: Support for Family Members of LGBTQ+ Muslims
   Print
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-sX7KykHDHi?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   | Read |
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-v4eMW62m_m?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   Post
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-9rNm73FfFy?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   - What is Islamophobia? Safety and Resistance
   Print
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-gJ2EFtSucQ?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   | Read |
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-qZk99hDVlJ?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   Post
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-L8g3dXxR6N?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>

Academic and Journal Articles:

   - Islamic Texts: A Source for Acceptance of Queer Individuals into
   Mainstream Muslim Society
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-QVBnRjn-f9?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   - Muhsin Hendricks

Online Videos and Lectures:

   - Brown, trans, queer, Muslim and proud
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-gZd3KYQQJ0?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Sabah Choudrey
   - Gay Muslims Confront Intersectional Challenges
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-1RG_CAzH8Q?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Associated Press
   - How Australia’s first gay Imam is ‘saving lives’
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-F3JiK7JXdi?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — BBC News
   - How I embrace contradiction as a queer Muslim drag queen
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-5Eo7OWtSWj?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Amrou Al-Kadhi
   - LGBTQI Lecture Series by Imam Daayiee Abdullah — Muslims for
   Progressive Values
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-qF_7eiwDuF?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   - LGBTQ Muslims in Islam
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-_cYbqDpSyR?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Junaid Jahangir
   - Queer & Muslim in America
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-bSx0odYEwO?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   (Interview with Eman Abdelhadi) — First Person
   - Queer & Muslim: Nothing to Reconcile
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-TGQoFQ2MkA?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — Blair Imani
   - We Resist: A Queer Muslim Perspective
   <http://redirect.medium.systems/r-RoPA-uBkAA?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
   — El-Farouk Khaki

Respond on Medium
<https://medium.com/p/b9e2cb1e1886?responsesOpen=true&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
View story
<https://medium.com/p/b9e2cb1e1886?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
Sent to [log in to unmask] by Rahim Thawer on Medium
Unsubscribe
<https://medium.com/me/email-settings/c943fa4c1aea/37131a204640?type=required&newsletterV3Id=597929d6d452&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
from this writer’s Medium emails
Unsubscribe from all
<https://medium.com/me/unsubscribe-all-newsletters?tokenHash=37131a204640&nonce=c82fb8c8-7276-4c16-b39c-8345b5f93047&email=rahim%40affectiveconsult.ca&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
newsletters sent using Medium

Medium, 548 Market St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/548+Market+St?entry=gmail&source=g>,
PMB 42061, San Francisco, CA 94104
Careers
<https://medium.com/jobs-at-medium/work-at-medium-959d1a85284e?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
·Help Center
<https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
·Privacy Policy
<https://policy.medium.com/medium-privacy-policy-f03bf92035c9?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>
·Terms of service
<https://policy.medium.com/medium-terms-of-service-9db0094a1e0f?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1673902934193-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------5303f40e_01f0_49f1_b7cd_2ba9760b0a28--------597929d6d452>