SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Agora Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:34:05 -0500
Just a small example of "head start" that may make some sense to us this
time of year.

A child, the son of migrants who were subjected to a bureaucratically
designed temporary census relocation program, was born in a stable (despite
prevailing public health regulations). Not as elegant perhaps as a birthing
room, but warm – and he had both parents around him, as well as a gaggle of
shepherds there to help if needed.

Shortly after his birth, three important foreign officials arrived with
gifts that might not seem of immediate use to a baby, but that could be
preserved as long-term investments for the child and for the whole family.
We are not aware of any needs test the officials imposed on the family, nor
are we aware of any state sanctioned clawback of these gifts.

The child and his family became refugees shortly after his a birth – an
unfortunate event, but at least his family had the resources (financed
perhaps by sale of some of the frankincense, gold and myrrh, without need of
a permit slip from a government department) to escape. And when they
returned, they came back to a community where the father could make an
honest and dignified living as a carpenter to support his family – a skill
he was able to pass on to his son. By all accounts his mother continued to
give her child her love and support until the very end of his life.

But shortly after his birth, many other newborns – we rightly call them The
Innocents – had their lives ended at the whim of the ruler of their country.
No Magi arrived to save and succor these children.

May we, and those to whom we entrust official power, be Magi for our
children – for all children – in a world every bit as dangerous as occupied
Judea must have been two millennia ago.

Seasons greetings, in memory of the children....

John Butler