SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dave Cundiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 18:45:27 -0800
Dear SDOH Colleagues:

The Number Needed to Vaccinate (NNV) has not customarily been used in Public Health, because it is so dependent on the underlying chances of infection and of the outcomes of interest.

EXAMPLE:  If the vaccine series is 90% protective against outcome X, which occurs in 2% of infected patients, and the chance of infection is 1% over the time period being analyzed, the NNV to prevent that outcome would be 1/(0.9x0.02x0.01) = 5,556.

Now I’ll change just one variable.  If the vaccine series is 90% protective against outcome X, which occurs in 2% of infected patients, and the chance of infection is 90% over the time period being analyzed, the NNV would be 1/(0.9x0.02x0.9) = 62, just from the change in population infection rates.

Choose a different outcome, you get a dramatically different NNV.  Choose a different time frame for outcomes, you might get a very different NNV.

Plus, comparing deaths among vaccinated people with deaths among unvaccinated people, the Number Needed to Harm (NNH), with respect to excess deaths after COVID vaccine, would be a very high number indeed, probably somewhere between 250,000 and several million.

***

An individual-level analysis such as NNV, when applied to a vaccine against an infection that is transmitted person-to-person, fails to incorporate whatever value the vaccine may have in preventing transmission to others.  The “Number Needed to Vaccinate to Prevent One Transmission” would depend additionally on assumptions about the likelihood of transmission, about the exact effect of the vaccine on transmission, and on the downstream effect of vaccine in preventing subsequent cases.

For instance, 95-99% population coverage with measles vaccine will essentially eliminate all measles transmission in a society.  Under those circumstances, the “NNV” would be extremely high for a time – but, if vaccine were then neglected because the NNV was high, measles would return and all children would be at risk again.

“NNV” would have serious meaning only for things like tetanus vaccine, because tetanus is caught from the environment and is almost never transmitted person to person (even in completely unvaccinated populations).  For most other vaccines, you need a population analysis in which “NNV” has very little value.

***

Discussions of “herd immunity” from COVID-19 vaccines always depended on assumptions that the vaccine would prevent transmission by the same factor that it prevents severe illness and death.  A reasonable assumption, given the behavior of other vaccines, but not accurate for COVID-19 vaccine.

Still, given the system load of COVID-19 patients, and given my own recent unpleasant experience with COVID-19, I’m grateful to every immunized person for minimizing the population burden of severe disease – AND I’m grateful to those who made three doses of vaccine available to me, which may have saved my life!

***

Thanks to discussants for a civil, and sometimes informative, discussion….

Best wishes!

Dave Cundiff MD MPH

Ilwaco, Washington, USA