SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Richard Hofrichter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:18:39 -0500
Ken,
I've taken some quotations out of Ben Fine's long book, Social Capital
vs Social Theory: Political Economy and Social Science at the Turn of
the Millennium, to illustrate in condensed form my objections to this
term and the concepts that underlie it. So this is out of a much more
comprehensive analysis and I'm briefly citing a few points that stand
out for me.
________________
Ben Fine:
"social capital becomes a dumping ground for synthesis across the social
sciences.."

"...social capital is simply an oxymoron. To be otherwise, there would
have to be some sort of capital that is not social, relative to which
social capital has the potential to be distinctive. As capital,
especially as embedded within capitalism, is profoundly social and
historical in context, this is not possible." [The use of the term] is
an acknowledgement that the economy is dependent upon and is affected by
the non-economic...there is no capital that is not social."

"Capital is only appropriately understood as social from the outset in
the economic relations that it encompasses. Any use of the term social
capital is an implicit acceptance of the stance of mainstream economics,
in which capital is first and foremost a set of asocial endowments....
The weakness of the notion of social capital is not in what it does
present but in what it does not...If social capital seeks to bring the
social back in to enrich the understanding of capitalism, it does no
only because it has impoverished the understanding of capital by taking
it out of its social and historical context."

In Putnam, "social capital is identified with the formation of
associations within civil society in the interstices between the
government and the economy....social capital in Putnam is disassociated
from the broader context in which it is supposed to be both created and
have effects....[He leaves out] the role of the central
state...democracy, governance, policy, and associational activity itself
[which]are hardly liable to be independent of such factors."

"All in all it's a romantic view of voluntarism and associations."

Fine offers these questions:
"Why has social capital proved so popular with limited effective
critical response? What is the significance of social capital for
understanding the way in which social theory is currently being produced
and, in particular, for the shirting relationship between economics and
the other social sciences.

"Social capital is...attractive to conservatives for having taken the
state off the agenda and for putting anything other than it in the role
of social provider....Social capital is really a posture towards the
less fortunate of self-help and charity raised from the individual to
the community level."

It is interesting to me that the use of this term arises as a buzz word
precisely at the moment that we have large cuts in social welfare,
increasing layoffs due to globalization, and other destabilizing effects
of capital movements.

Fine also notes that Putnam fails to discuss political power "and the
unequal access to so-called social capital, [as well as making an odd]
distinction between politics and civil society."

Richard Hofrichter
Senior Analyst, Health Equity
National Association of County & City Health Officials
1100 17th St. NW
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: 202-783-5550 x211
Fax: 202-783-1583