SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Elizabeth McGibbon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:27:12 +0000

________________________________
From: Denise at The Narwhal <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: September 21, 2023 7:13 PM
To: Elizabeth McGibbon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Breaking news on a broken promise

The news broke today — on our Ontario bureau’s second birthday: “It was a mistake to open the Greenbelt,” Doug Ford said as he reversed his decision.
[The Narwhal's masthead logo] <https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=efc0361559&e=a140513fff>
[The trio of The Narwhal's Ontario bureau poke their heads out of a brick hut. From top: Fatima Syed, Emma McIntosh, Denise Balkissoon.] <https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=83a33fbe94&e=a140513fff>
“It was a mistake to open the Greenbelt.”

It’s a stunning admission many thought they’d never hear from Ontario Premier Doug Ford. But here we are. Eleven months after the Progressive Conservative government opened up the Greenbelt to development, the premier is apologizing, putting the land back in — and vowing to never again touch — the protected area.

“I made a promise to you that I wouldn’t touch the Greenbelt. I broke that promise. And for that I am very, very sorry,” Ford said.

A political reversal of this magnitude doesn’t just happen out of nowhere. The Narwhal’s Emma McIntosh, in partnership with our buds at the Toronto Star, first broke the story of the Ford government’s doling out of Greenbelt parcels to well-connected developers.

Emma remembers digging into property records to figure out just who were the biggest beneficiaries of the Greenbelt being opened up: “Back then, we were working long into the night, figuring out how to best serve this critical information to the public — and to do it quickly, before the decision was final,” Emma said. “I never could have imagined where this reporting would take us.”

Support investigative journalism that makes a difference<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=b5b5acc7d9&e=a140513fff>
[Illustration of a person stringing together photos and clippings on a blackboard, with many of the clippings related to the Greenbelt.] <https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=7e422d209b&e=a140513fff>

The revelations by Emma and her colleagues caused a political crisis for Doug Ford’s government. In the intervening months, the province’s auditor general and integrity commissioner published reports divulging conflicts of interest and violations of ethics. The RCMP is also mulling an investigation.

Today’s news confirms that journalism by The Narwhal and other media outlets has also saved 3,000 hectares of land from development.

We wouldn’t have arrived at this moment — four high-level political resignations and now a full reversal of the Greenbelt decision — without independent, investigative journalism.

It’s hard to believe that The Narwhal’s Ontario bureau has only been in existence for two years as of today! Week after week, month after month, Ontario reporters Fatima Syed and Emma McIntosh have been investigating and covering cuts to environmental protections in the province. And they are only able to do this time-intensive reporting because of the support of the 5,711 people like you who give whatever they can.<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=e9267aeb88&e=a140513fff>

Our Ontario bureau is more committed than ever to exposing the truth of what goes on behind closed doors — but we need to hit our membership target of 5,800 by the end of the month to continue to make this work possible. Will you help us hold Ontario’s government accountable by becoming a member today at any amount you can afford?<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=8e77af4bfa&e=a140513fff>

Take care and remember the 21st night of September,

Denise Balkissoon
Ontario bureau chief
[Denise Balkissoon headshot]

P.S. Vast swaths of land remain protected in the Greenbelt as a direct result of our dogged reporting. Will you be one of 89 people who sign up as a member today so our team can keep holding power to account? <https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=6e52b576db&e=a140513fff>

Yes, I’ll be one of 89 new Narwhals<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=ac79239ec1&e=a140513fff>
[The Narwhal's logo] <https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=a1a9e943bb&e=a140513fff>
View this e-mail in your browser<https://us15.campaign-archive.com/?e=a140513fff&u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=7b3474bee4>

Sign up for this newsletter<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=727267b40c&e=a140513fff>

You are on this list because you signed up to receive The Narwhal’s newsletter.
You can update your preferences<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/profile?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=f6a05fddb8&e=a140513fff&c=7b3474bee4> or unsubscribe from this list<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=f6a05fddb8&e=a140513fff&c=7b3474bee4>.

The Narwhal
Suite 634
185 - 911 Yates St.
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
Canada

Add us to your address book<https://thenarwhal.us15.list-manage.com/vcard?u=d4ccbf5717196773d100e7ecd&id=f6a05fddb8>

Copyright © 2023 The Narwhal, all rights reserved.