Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:14:55 +0500
Hello!

The situation is more clear for supply curve which is [mathematically] the
part of the marginal cost curve of the competitive firm, so MC=f(q). The
supply curve for the industry is the sum of individual curves, but as
price-takers the competitive firms already consider the price as argument
(for determing the production output).

As for the demand function situation is more complex (because in the
consumer choice models there are several goods), but the individual demand
curve for good "A" might be treated as the approximation of marginal
utility of consumption this good conditioned by substitution & welfare
effects.

Sincerely Yours,
  Dmitry Krutikov
  3/ii-2011