From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Gibbons (GIA))
Date:
Actually, my point re: language is not that normative moments in language
necessarily distort our ability to explain.  It was that when we pretend
to use language that is formed from a normative point of view in a
non-normative way that that is what can lead to distortion.

I also think that another aspect of this debate concerns the relationship
between theory and practice and how the meaning of concepts is
determined.  Does the meaning of term consist only of what *I* want it to
mean (humpty-dumpty in Alice and Wonderland).  This can reduce to the
absurd conclusion that if *I* want to define coercion as the right of
people to do what they want when they want, that is as legitimate or
acceptable as more conventional definitions.  Or is it the case that
terms, concepts, etc. derive their meaning from the language within which
they develop.  If the latter is the case, how likely is it in the social
sciences that one would be able to extract a body of concepts from common
usage, define them in a purely nominalist fashion, and still claim to
have a non-normative discourse (as per physics) in relation to social
practice?