From:
[log in to unmask] (Yuri Tulupenko)
Date:

The quotation below is in a discussion by the characters of a world-
famous novel which, I am inclined to think the majority of the list
members have read (most probably, in their teens):

"You may be cajoled into imagining that your own special trade or your
own industry will be encouraged by a protective tariff, but it stands to
reason that such legislation must in the long run keep away wealth from
the country, diminish the value of our imports, and lower the general
conditions of life in this island."

The discussion takes place in Chapter 4 and its outcome is of crucial
importance to the story as a whole.

What is the title of the book containing this remarkable piece of
economics, a book widely read for almost a hundred years and more
than once made into a movie?

Good luck!
Yuri Tulupenko