From:
[log in to unmask] (Yuri Tulupenko)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

[A message which Yuri T. mentions here, from Kiichiro Yagi, has been
delayed in reaching the list, but will hopefully be sent sometime in the
next couple of days.--RBE]

Wieser, oh yes... Thanks to JP Schulz and Kiichiro Yagi for refreshing my
memory. Following the link kindly sent by the author, I downloaded and read
Kiichiro Yagi's very interesting paper on Wieser's "anonymous history of
the mass". It can be found on
http://www.econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~yagi/recentworks.html.

IMHO Tolstoy's place in the history of economic thought goes a little
beyond indirect intellectual influences like that on Wieser. There are
passages in *War and Peace* which sound rather Jevonian or Walrasian!
However, the ideas I am referring to were really in the air in 1860s...

Regards,
Yuri Tulupenko

P.S. I failed to introduce myself in my first posting - I teach history of
economic thought at Herzen University, St. Petersburg, Russia. My research
interest is in "incidental" pieces of economics in the writings of
non-economists (not necessarily Tolstoy!)