From:
[log in to unmask] (William M. Wiecek)
Date:
I have a query for economic historians.  Please post any replies to
my email address below.
Approximately when did the concept of discounting future income
streams to arrive at present value become a commonplace among
economists?  I am particularly interested in identifying the time,
within a decade, when lawyers might begin picking up the concept from
economists.  The earliest pertinent reference I have found is in John
R. Commons, The Legal Foundations of Capitalism (1924), but I suspect
that the idea is older than that, and that a sophisticated lawyer
like Louis D. Brandeis could have been thinking in those terms before
World War I.  Any comments?  I thank youi in advance for your
trouble.
William M. Wiecek
Syracuse University College of Law
(315) 443-4108