From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
Can I comment on a couple of points in Mary Schweitzer's
next to last posting? She said:

>And, yes, there are some cases where you are in the
>minority, and you lose the vote.  THEORETICALLY at least,
>you agree to that by agreeing to be part of the body
>politic of the United States

This is a concept of a social contract, isn't it? Hume and
others dealt with that long ago - people didn't 'agree' to
be part of the body politic, because there wasn't an option.
We are all born into a society (emigration is a bit more
complicated, but most people haven't emigrated).

She also distinguished cases where the government goes
'against the common will'. What is a 'common will'? This
takes us into deep waters. I don't know what a common will
is, but I will just comment that one reading of Arrow's
(im)possibility theorem is that there may be no voting
procedure that meets even minimal rquirements of something
that you might call a common will.

Anyway, what is clear is that these are big issues of
political philosophy, which have been discussed in that
field for centuries.

Tony Brewer, Bristol