Date:
I am brand new to this list, so I apologize if my query is inappropriate.
In the recentmost *Harpers* there is an interesting articleby Michael
Lind, in which he quotes Adam Smith. Here is Lind's sentence:

Willing to pursue collective economic interests but lacking any sense of
political commonwealth, the American overclass at the end of the
twentieth century takes as its own what Adam Smith identified as "the
vile maxim of the masters of mankind.... All for ourselves, and nothing
for other people."

Can anybody come up with a reference for the Smith quote? Is there an
index to Wealth of Nations? Something on the web perhaps? Thanks for any
help, on- or off-list.
David Tandy, Tennessee